Author Topic: Joe Pool Marina Closed by Park Service  (Read 148 times)

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
Joe Pool Marina Closed by Park Service
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:49:24 PM »
The Park Service closed Joe Pool Marina as of today.   The Park Service told everybody that received a marina pass last month that the marina was now closed and they had until April 25 to remove their boats and belongings from the slips.

One of the rangers told me that the Park Service had notified the marina owner six months ago that they were going to close them at the end of April.

However I find that very had to believe since the marina owner spent close to $100,000 making the repairs and modifications to the marina docks that the Park Service demanded be made.  That includes almost $80,000 that was spent rewiring the two docks to the Park Service specifications.   I find it very hard to believe he would have spent this much money had he been told before hand that the marina was going to be closed by the Park Service six months ago.

I hope he has good attorneys and sues the heck out of the Park Service since his lease on the marina property extends through 2029 or another 12 years.  Since the Park Service broke the lease I would be suing them for the money spent repairing the marina plus the profits he would have earned operating the marina for the next twelve years.

If they were going to close the marina they should have done it before requiring him to spend all that money bringing the marina up to current codes.

Just my two cents worth since I'm not a lawyer.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: Joe Pool Marina Closed by Park Service
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:04:12 PM »
I'm sure it will be opened by someone that knows someone that has the power to pull those strings.....

You are totally correct he definitely needs to get his lawyers involved.....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline SgtCrabby

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 07:46:54 PM »
I didn't know they could do that.  Hope he has some good lawyers,  but he'll be fighting 'city hall' .

How were the slip holders notified to remove their boats and belongings from the slips? Do they 'lose ownership' if they didn't get them out in time?

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »
I didn't know they could do that.  Hope he has some good lawyers,  but he'll be fighting 'city hall' .

How were the slip holders notified to remove their boats and belongings from the slips? Do they 'lose ownership' if they didn't get them out in time?

The only notification I received was from the Front Gate at the Park when I stopped to get a marina pass for the day.  I asked the marina manager about it and was told that the marina owner stated he was not going to close the marina since his lease went through 2029. 

But the Park Service would not give permits to go to the marina area after the 25th so how will the boat owners get to their slips?

I don't know what will happen to the property of those who did not receive notice.  I was told that the Park Service told the marina owner that all the docks, including the store and fishing barge, had to be removed from the lake.

My son-in-law helped me to remove most of my property from the slip before the 25th.   I lost the money I spent having the slip built in to make it safe and usable for my wife.