Author Topic: ordered a store bought green light for my slip.  (Read 91 times)

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
ordered a store bought green light for my slip.
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:01:44 PM »
When they moved Joe Pool marina the last time they destroyed the green underwater mercury vapor light that I built for the slip.  Broke the mercury vapor bulb and drown the transformer in water.  I bought about rebuilding it but chickened out about plugging in that transformer after it set in water for a couple of days.  good thing the marina power was off when they did it.

So I'm been debating whether to buy the components to build another one or buy a store built one.  Then lightening struck on Friday and I received a call offering to buy one of the domain names I owned.  I accepted the offer and received the payment today.

after thinking about it I decided the man upstairs was telling me to buy one by sending me this unexpected windfall. it wasn't a big windfall but it was big enough to pay for a store bought green underwater light for my slip.  So I splurged and ordered one tonight.  It is due to arrive friday afternoon so I will take it to the slip saturday to set it up and tee off all my neighbors when i steal all the crappie from their areas.    >:D >:D

now i must find my camera so i can takes pictures of it lighting up the slip area.   :clap :clap :clap

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: ordered a store bought green light for my slip.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 07:31:15 AM »
No doubt that will help.....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 06:26:09 PM »
the last time i used one it brought in more black and white bass than it did crappie.  but they are all fun to catch.

darn white bass would swim upside down in the light while it was on.  funny watching fish swim in circles, upside down.  :)

what i found interesting was watching the large black bass as they approached a jig or minnow suspended in the water in the light.  everyone of them would swim up and suspend about a foot from it, looking at it.  then they would change angles and do the same thing again.  after doing this several times they would swim up to the jig or minnow, bump it with their nose, then swim away.

my guess is the sight of the hook in the minnow was enough to warn them off.  yet i have caught a ton of bass on suspended jigs and minnows when the light wasn't there.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:29:28 PM »
With most folks throwing those bass back I'm sure they've been hooked a time or two....

I think adding structure would be a BIG plus also....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:16:17 PM »
the light was a gift from heaven.  I had just bought that domain a few months earlier, planing on building a secondary web site for my son.   I've already bought a replacement domain to use for him. 

I plan on adding either some new porcupine fish attractors when i get my boat back or make some other type attractor to sink in the slip.  it just takes time, as taking care of the wife comes first.  give me a year and it will be as good as my old slip as a fish home, just not as big since this marina doesn't have any larger slips available.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 05:17:19 AM »
Kudos on the green light and the extra cash... Earnest has been writing about suspending plastic chairs in his slip and having good luck with  them. Wouldn't hurt to try if you have four or five laying around some where... :Thumbsup
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:53:25 PM »
extra cash is always nice, especially when it is so unexpected.   :clap

thanks for the advice.  I happen to have four that have reached the end of their life and was able to head for the dump.  I will suspend them from ropes in my slip and see how they work.  They will be the easiest crappie condos I have ever made if they work.   :clap :clap :clap

guess I need to pay a visit to texasfishingforum and read the crappie section to see what is happening there.  it's been close to a year since I last visited there.  Just haven't had that much time to waste lately.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:25:08 PM »
I have a few lawn chairs in the lake & they do hold crappie....

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 11:44:07 PM »
and you have been keeping this tactic secret from US    :o      :))

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 07:22:31 AM »
LOL....Juss thought everyone knew about using them....