Author Topic: Where do you keep minnows on your boat?  (Read 9042 times)

Offline JohnH

• Crappie Dink
Where do you keep minnows on your boat?
« on: February 25, 2014, 02:19:25 PM »
I wonder where most people keep their minnows on their boat, assuming they use minnows.

I want to keep them in the stern live well but my fishing partner wants to keep them in a minnow bucket near his seat up front when fishing.

I believe the live well is better since the minnows are not subject to the shock of the bucket being pulled into the boat and replaced back into the lake on a constant basis.  Plus the minnows are in the bucket in the boat when we are moving so they don't have as much water to be in where the water level in the live well is constant and constantly being renewed.

He doesn't believe that makes any difference and wants to keep the minnows handy when he fishes.

So he keeps some minnows in his minnow bucket while the majority of them are kept in the stern live well.

And yes, I know many use jigs instead of live bait but we both prefer live bait.

Offline RobertB

• Crappie Keeper
Re: Where do you keep minnows on your boat?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »
I use jigs, lures, minnows, whatever the crappie want. :)

I use my live well as it is convenient to use.  However when I am underway the pump must be turned off until I arrive at the next fishing spot.  So I don't see where it makes a difference in using a minnow bucket and a live well other than space saved on a boat.

So if space is tight then try to convince him to use the live well, explaining space is tight.  If space is not a problem then leave him alone.  You might end up losing a fishing buddy if you don't.  :)

Offline CrappieHunter

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:47:03 AM »
I'm a jig user, so I don't have this problem. :)

If I did use minnows I would keep them in the live well.  But if it was my fishing buddy I would allow him to keep his minnow bucket if it made him happy.  :)

Unless he was catching more crappie than me.  Then I would move him to the back of the boat and make him use the live well.  :D

Offline CrappieSearcher

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »
My better half keeps her minnows in a minnow bucket.  She doesn't want to keep moving back and forth when she replaces her minnows.

I fish with jigs so I don't have that problem.  When I point that out to her she sticks her tongue out at me and says "I catch more fish.  When you start catching more than me I will think about jigs."

I hate it when she is right.  >:(  But I will keep using my jigs as I find them more fun to fish.  :)

Offline crappieseeker

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 10:55:10 PM »
I have never thought about it.  I generally buy a dozen in case the crappie will not hit jigs but I seldom use them.  My fishing partner uses them on one rod.

We keep them in the front live well, near where he fishes.  But if he wanted to keep them in a bucket I would not care, as long as he kept the bucket on his side of the boat.  The cooler stays on my side. :)

Offline crappieslinger

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
We keep our minnows in a minnow bucket.  We keep the two live wells for the fish we catch.

It is not that hard to keep the minnows in the water while we fish and to move the bucket into the boat when we change locations.

We keep minnows between fishing trips in the minnow bucket in the water by the slip.  We do not have any problems with minnows dying so moving them from water to boat to water does not seem to impact them.

Offline JohnH

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
We have been friends too many years for me to refuse to allow him the use of his minnow bucket.  But I will continue to rib him about being lazy, not wanting to go to the live well each time to get minnows.

And he will continue to rib me about being too lazy to pull the minnow bucket out of the water each time I need a minnow.

We have fished together for years and understand each other. :)

Offline dallas

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »
My boat is an old jon boat.  It doesn't have live wells.  So I keep my minnows in a minnow bucket and my crappie in an ice chest.

I use jigs most of the time but I always take a dozen minnows with me in case the crappies are not hitting the jigs.

Offline Slabseeker

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 07:09:26 PM »
I use jigs so there are seldom any minnows in my boat.  But if my partner wanted to bring minnows he would need to keep them in his minnow bucket.

Offline steve chambers

• Minnow
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 09:28:32 PM »
We fish aluminum jon boat we put minnows in a 5 gallon bucket with a aerator in bucket the bubbles brand the minnows will last all night or till we run out. Any minnows left will stay in bucket with aerator on in a cool place.

Offline Dutch

• Crappie Keeper
  • Spiderman
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 10:23:14 PM »
I used to use minnows some times. We would keep the bulk of the minnows in the live well and each have a small 1 gallon bucket with about a dozen minnows sitting beside our seats with a minnow dip net in it.
I woke up this morning.  At my age, that is a GOOD thing!

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 07:16:58 AM »
I do the same as Dutch. Use minnows at night mostly, so we keep most of them in the 15gal. bait well and a few in a 1 gal ice cream bucket by our chairs. Works good for us...
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline metalcutterr

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 07:20:24 AM »

X2

I used to use minnows some times. We would keep the bulk of the minnows in the live well and each have a small 1 gallon bucket with about a dozen minnows sitting beside our seats with a minnow dip net in it.

<*{{{{{~<

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 08:22:33 AM »
Aight y'all I've got aahh good spot I keep those minnas & that is unda my boat in all that wada it is floatn in...... :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :Thumbsup :Dance :Thumbsup :Dance :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO
Don't mind me but I had too.... :ROFLMAO :roflmao1
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline ACAMS

• Crappie Keeper
    • myfolderz.com
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 05:14:02 PM »
Flowtroll .... in the water, they live longer that way!
}><||(>     }><||(>     http://myfolderz.com/Jigs/pics.php     <)||><{     <)||><{

Free Image Uploader http://myfolderz.com/TCF/pics.php

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 08:16:56 AM »
My boat is a minnow
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Register