Author Topic: Cleburne State Park--Cedar Lake  (Read 2695 times)

Offline papa john

• Guppy
Cleburne State Park--Cedar Lake
« on: April 15, 2015, 07:40:54 PM »
Is anyone fishing Cedar Lake in Cleburne State Park lately? It's been years since I've fished there. The lake record White Crappie is 2.2Lb by a junior angler in 2013 on a minnow. That means there are some slabs in there!! Just might be worth a trip to try some bank walking with a jig under a float!!
 :fish

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
Re: Cleburne State Park--Cedar Lake
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:37:18 PM »
Is that the name of that lake.  I fished it for years an never knew it had a name.  I always called it the Cleburne State Park Lake.   :ROFLMAO

I haven't been there in two years.  The last time I was there the ramps were closed due to low water.  The lake shoreline was way down from the normal level.

I used to take my boat to fish that lake.  The Rangers at the toll booth would always tell me that you could not go over 5 mph on the lake, I would always tell them that is why my boat has a trolling motor on it.

I loved to fish for rainbow trout there in the winter time.  I asked about the rainbow trout when we moved back to Texas. I was told that they no longer stock them at small county lakes.  There were too many complains about lower income people not being to fish for them due to the cost of driving so they now only stock them near the big cities.  Don't know how true this is but this is what the Ranger told me.

If I fished that lake now I would take a tube so I could float fish it.  Since I can no longer use a tube that stops me from fishing there until the water level returns to normal. :(

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 07:32:28 AM »
interesting question ....I have not ever been there for crappie
20 years ago or more I used to hit the rainbow trout in there though
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Offline Horton5303

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »
They are in there. Not sure how good it would be now that it has gotten so low. It is overwhelmed with sand bass. And the boat ramp has been closed since September 2013. I wish the lake would get some rain. My wife really liked it out there when we could take the boat. I do know they spawn out in front of the Park Bench on that little trail that goes to the left of the boat ramp. Let us know how ya do. Don't waste your time at the dam during the spawn.

Offline crappieslinger

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 05:59:29 PM »
It's been years since I have been there.  We used to camp there over a weekend with the kids.  They loved to wade in the water and the bream fishing was outstanding.   They were young and loved to catch them, they didn't care how big or little the fish were, they just loved to catch them.

Offline papa john

• Guppy
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:39:40 AM »
Thanks for the good info!! Last I was there was maybe '06 and caught a bunch of sand bass from our boat. I'll let yall know how we do  :fish

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 07:48:20 AM »
wonder how the lake level is now ?
did it come up ?
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Offline Esnow74

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 08:46:25 AM »
looks like it did not catch much, came up maybe a half a foot at most. Most lakes didnt seem to catch as much as a few out ther but any and all water is welcome in the lakes west of Tawakoni.

Offline Horton5303

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 10:02:18 AM »
Im starting to wonder if its leaking off into the lime plant next door?... It's suppose to be spring fed. Maybe the spring dried up.

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 09:46:20 PM »
Im starting to wonder if its leaking off into the lime plant next door?... It's suppose to be spring fed. Maybe the spring dried up.

You're right. 

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/cleburne/park_history says "Cleburne State Park is a 528-acre park that encompasses a lively 116-acre, spring-fed lake. Located southwest of Fort Worth in Johnson County, the park was acquired from the city of Cleburne and private owners in 1935-36 and was opened in 1938"

So what did happen to the water in that lake?

Offline HMK

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 08:08:33 PM »
That's a pretty park. the wife and I take our dash hound and Shepard there to hike, fish and camp. We caught a few sandbass, but nothing worth bragging about. It's still a great place to get away to. They take care of it and keep it nice.
Stop Wishin', Go Fishin'

Offline likestofish

• Minnow
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 10:09:52 PM »
Did the recent rains do anything for this lake?  The last time I was there it was way, way low. 

Offline Slabseeker

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 08:06:35 PM »
I would also like to know.  That is a fun place to just walk the trail and fish from the bank.

Offline SgtCrabby

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 11:00:59 PM »
My wife and I drove through there last fall.  It had refilled.
That was the 1st time I've been there in maybe 20 years.