Author Topic: Electric fillet knife  (Read 3254 times)

Offline ACAMS

• Crappie Keeper
    • myfolderz.com
Electric fillet knife
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »
Well my electric fillet knife is at least 35 years old and the blades keep falling out so I need/want a new one!!!

What is the best one for the money, and are those super expensive ones really worth the extra money?

I chipped the bricks in the wall with my foul language cleaning all those durn bream and glad I don't have neighbors real close to hear my rant!

What do you guy's recommend? 
}><||(>     }><||(>     http://myfolderz.com/Jigs/pics.php     <)||><{     <)||><{

Free Image Uploader http://myfolderz.com/TCF/pics.php

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: Electric fillet knife
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:33:18 PM »
I haven't used a lectric knife in forever & from some of tha threads I've read bout any of the new ones be sure to hang on to your ole one......lotsa folks say the new ones don't last fer nothin....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline ACAMS

• Crappie Keeper
    • myfolderz.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:50:37 PM »
Well I do a better job with my little 6" rapala, but I like to skin with electric ..... and sometimes, the whole way electric.

DANG, some of those things are $140 ..... hope they last awhile!

Looking at a $40 one and a $60 one ....
}><||(>     }><||(>     http://myfolderz.com/Jigs/pics.php     <)||><{     <)||><{

Offline plateboater

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 04:11:09 AM »
Mister twister has not let me down and blades can be purchased in a lot of different places

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »
I currently just use a small fillet knife.  But I only clean six fish at a time now days.  I either release or give away the rest that we catch.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 11:15:41 AM »
I think mine is a Rapala... Was on sale fer 19 bucks at Academy awhile back...
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline ACAMS

• Crappie Keeper
    • myfolderz.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
Still undecided ..... I guess I will buy one with thin flexible blades.

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
I've been using the same Berkley for 3 years now without any problems.  They're not very expensive and the replacement blades are cheap too.  This one is starting to get hot though after a dozen fish or so.  I'll probably get a second one and just swap them out.  I would like to try a Bubba Blade.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 09:13:37 PM »
Just checked tonight gettin ready to go ketchn, and mine is also a Berkley..

Offline ACAMS

• Crappie Keeper
    • myfolderz.com
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 10:31:06 PM »
I may just have to get a Berkly, or Rapala then ..... which ever has the thinnest, best looking blades.

Too bad I have to go all the way to Tyler to find a good choice ..... Walmart have a couple but nothing I liked.
Of course, since it is Walmart they moved them THREE rows over by now and have every knife ever made!

Offline ACAMS

• Crappie Keeper
    • myfolderz.com
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 07:10:43 PM »
Went to wallyworld last night to get a knife ...... NOTHING on the shelves but two $90 American Angler knives that DON'T look worth the extra money!

They did have extra blades for the Rapala electric knives and they looked good and thin, probably what I will but if I ever find one.

Guess I will have to go to Tyler!

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »
ACAMS I'm afraid I told you a lie.  My fillet knife is a Rapala not a Berkley.  That's embarrassing.  Anyway it's been a good knife and affordable.

Offline Dr Erk

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 08:03:11 AM »
ACAMS, amazon is your friend.   :BananaDance

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
I used the American angler and did not like the on off switch. And doesn't have a strong a motor as the Berkley. Have t used a rapala so I can't say here is the one I use and it's ok not crazy about the cord but can live with it.

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 02:38:02 PM »
don't have a photo handy but I will say this
I paid 3.99 each for these here Billy Boy fillet knives a while back
they look like a kids toy at first glance
trust me there are anything but that !
one has been thru 100 fish without needing an edge
the other has been thru at least 50
I am REALLY impressed to say the least
they are both still ridiculous sharp to the point of scary
and yes I bought 4 of them  :clap
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Offline ACAMS

• Crappie Keeper
    • myfolderz.com
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 10:52:41 PM »
Well, I ended up with a Rapala ..... I think I will like it better than that old 35 year old round tip loose blade sucker I been using.

Now I need to find time to got catch a fish to clean, but River run is this weekend and I start back to work Monday for at least a week.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 10:03:12 PM »
Follow up on the Berkley.... It sucks!
First time out it got so hot I could barely hold it....
Had to keep setting it down to cool off...
Second time out... Same story...
Only this time I made it about half way thru and it was over the poor thing...
Had an awful smell and smoke..
Anyway, I purchased a nine inch tapered flex bubba blade...
 Gonna see how it works....
we shall see...

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 07:29:01 AM »
Follow up on the Berkley.... It sucks!
First time out it got so hot I could barely hold it....
Had to keep setting it down to cool off...
Second time out... Same story...
Only this time I made it about half way thru and it was over the poor thing...
Had an awful smell and smoke..
Anyway, I purchased a nine inch tapered flex bubba blade...
 Gonna see how it works....
we shall see...
I bought the same Bubba Blade a couple months ago.  It takes a little practice but I'm getting better with it.  Man did I butcher some fillets with it.  What I really like about it is the little time it takes to clean up and no electric cord to worry about.  You may have already found out but when you get down to the tail, slow down or you'll slice it right off the fish.  I'm still bad about doing that.

Offline Dr Erk

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 11:15:56 AM »
I think that they were cleaning catfish or redfish, but I saw an interesting way to save a filet that you cut through the tail on. Nail a beer cap to a wooden dowel and use that to hold the scales and skin down to your cutting board. Seemed to work pretty well. Might work on a crappie if you're delicate with it.

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »
I think that they were cleaning catfish or redfish, but I saw an interesting way to save a filet that you cut through the tail on. Nail a beer cap to a wooden dowel and use that to hold the scales and skin down to your cutting board. Seemed to work pretty well. Might work on a crappie if you're delicate with it.

i use a fork

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »
Yep. I learned that trick on you tube I think his name is Captain Vince Russo.  I built one and keep it with my knives

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 04:43:26 PM »
I also use a fork.  But that beer cap trick shows cooler.  :)

Offline Kdog

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 10:48:26 PM »
Have burned up several and have an older American Angler that does IMO a great job. Having said that, it sits on the shelf most of the time and I use my trusted Case fillet knife more often than not. Keeping it super sharp is the key and although I am good at sharpening it is time consuming.

The wife brought home a high end knife sharpener from work. Awesome to the point where my christmas present ended up being a chefs choice 1520 and it gets used a lot. I have 6 fillet knives Rapalla, Buck, Case.  All are capable of 25-30 10"+ crappie with no noticeable disffference start to finish. Sure they are a bit slower than the electrics but not by much and they never run out of power.  I bought the electric because I was tired of constant sharpening but it gets hot and uncomfortable to handle.

The electric sharpener has me back to real steel and quiet cleaning of fish. I am slowly converting my buddies back to real steel as well. A super sharp edge that is easy to maintain is all you need. The edge I get can be tuned with a steel but I nornally hust change out knives and when I have a couple dull ones, fire up the sharpener and in a few minutes all are sharp and ready for more. Usually spend more time unpacking and repacking the sharpener than I do sharpening it is that fast of a process.

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 05:41:02 PM »
the American angler or any with a pointed tip usually will get the flesh in between the blades

and that i don't like it slows the blade down. but the blunt nose blades do very good.

the mister twister makes a good one sold at Academy stores for around $20

Offline Esnow74

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 09:44:49 AM »
I've been through quite a few electric knives when chasing sandies. I now just use my trusty fillet knife that I use for about everything. One day I will catch enough crappie in one trip that I will wish for another electric.