Author Topic: Trolling Motor  (Read 4828 times)

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: Trolling Motor
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 09:56:31 AM »
one thing for certain ....you got to have a big enough boat for them things to work properly .....
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Offline ACAMS

• Crappie Keeper
    • myfolderz.com
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 07:03:03 PM »
I added the Copilot remote to my PD2 and the foot control just sits in the box now .... remote is very easy, even bass fishing in wind.
}><||(>     }><||(>     http://myfolderz.com/Jigs/pics.php     <)||><{     <)||><{

Free Image Uploader http://myfolderz.com/TCF/pics.php

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 12:26:44 AM »
palestineag did you get the salt water model or fresh water model  motor guide. one has only the remote and the other

the wireless foot pedal . do they both have pinpoint i am not sure and the people working the both at bass pro

seem to know less than i do about it.

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »
I would not get the salt water.  The way it deploys would be very difficult to put a transducer on it and the freshwater one has universal 2d built in.  I did have a hummingbird graph on my bow but switched to an HDS 7 that I linked to trolling motor and I couldn't be happier.  Performance is almost unreal.  The freshwater has the foot pedal that comes with it.  I have never been good with foot petal control but had a buddy use it and said it worked well.  Could see if you fish under bridges that would be the way to go to keep both hands free for fishing

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2015, 09:57:56 AM »
I have always preferred Motorguide trolling motors but my next trolling motor was going to be the iPiliot with Spotlock. 

However now Motorguide has come out with a model that offers an anchor lock that they call Pinpoint.   http://www.motorguide.com/introducing-pinpoint  http://www.motorguide.com/introducing-pinpoint

Since I plan on waiting a few months more before I replace my current trolling motor I am going to wait for the reviews on this trolling motor.  And hopefully Motorguide will come out with the second generation of it before I buy. 

My current trolling motor is two years old but only has about 20 hours of use on it due to my health problems and then Joe Pool Lake Marina being closed due to flood damage.

So I am having a hard time justifying to myself buying a new trolling motor since the current model has so few hours on it but I want that anchor lock so bad that it hurts when I think about it.  :)

Offline HMK

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 06:59:46 AM »
I take it these are not hundred dollar Walmart specials
Stop Wishin', Go Fishin'

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2015, 11:59:45 AM »
I also had one of the first Minnkota rip tides with I pilots on the market and changed to the terrova just last year hoping the technology had improved and the spot lock function was better but it was not.  After reading some reviews it sounds like the lack in accuracy is just due to normal error in recreational gps technology and Motorguide overcame that with the second receiver.  It is night and day difference.

Glad to hear that as I prefer MG.  Only had one MinnKotta in my life.  It give me so many problems I have never bought a second one.  But I was considering it for the anchor lock until I read that MG now had an anchor lock unit.

So now I just need to convince myself that my current trolling motor with about 20 hours use on it is too old and I need a newer model.   And I can't make the argument to myself that I need two trolling motor on the pontoon as I was able to do with the fish finder.   :ROFLMAO

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2015, 02:19:04 PM »

palestineag . which Xi5 did you get the fresh water model or the salt water . I have not been able to find out to much

about them here at the bass pro shop here , as i understand it  the freshwater one comes with a foot pedal only

and the saltwater one comes with the remote only is this true. does the pinpoint come on both or is that an add on.

the minn kota i have comes with both a foot pedal and a remote.

without the remote looks like it would be hard to put it on anchor.

i put this here instead of private message in case others may want to know also Thanks.

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
Sticko, I got the freshwater and if you are not fishing saltwater that is what I would get.  Reason being is that it has the universal sonar transducer built in just like the terrova.  I believe most of the freshwater xi5 come with hand remote and foot control but not sure.  I bought mine online from digital oasis getting lowest price I could find anywhere, free shipping and no tax. Also the description on the website is very descriptive of exactly what you are purchasing.  I got the 60", 105# thrust with foot pedal, hand remote, and the pinpoint.  I think there are some of the lower end models without pinpoint gps but I would definitely NOT get those.

Do you already have a Minnkota with ipilot and if so do you use the foot pedal or the hand remote?  When I had mine, I only used the hand control.  I tried the foot pedal which I purchased also but did not like the lag.  I haven't really even used the foot pedal currently but as I mentioned previously, I had a buddy try mine out and he liked it alright enough to buy one himself.  I will say he does not like the remote foot pedal as much as his previous cable steer trolling motor when he is bridge fishing but I didn't ask him the specifics of why that was the case.

Initially I had my trolling motor transducer interfaced with the 688 humminbird graph I had on my bow but after looking at the potential of being able to link it to an lowrance hds unit on the bow I went ahead and made the investment to put a touch hds 7 on the bow and linked it with the nmea 2000 kit and the gateway link.  Think it was like $250 for both parts online.  The combination has been nothing short of amazing for fishing brush piles and timber.  The hds internal gps is far superior to that of the 688 I had.  When you drop a waypoint it is spot on.  Other upside with the touch screen is that when you see brush pop up on your sonar, you can scroll back to it, drop a waypoint there, then come back to it on the gps screen and you are on it.  I have the hds unit right by the xi5 head so there is no variability in the exact gps location.   I no longer have to use a marker buoy at all except when fishing/graphing submerged timber and see that tree loaded with fish to give a reference point. However, when you ease back to the buoy and the tree shows up on the sonar, you just hit the anchor lock and it keeps you right over the tree, period.  The 8 presets on the hand held remote are also beyond belief.  There are a couple of submerged trees I have found out in the middle of nowhere that always hold a couple of big fish.  Put them in as presets and when we get within 100 ft or so, just hit the preset button and it puts us right over the top of the middle of the tree every time.  Also some bigger brush piles seem to have a consistent sweet spot and have put those in as presets so we don't have to look around, it just takes us straight to the exact spot.

Another thing I absolutely love about this motor is that wind is a non issue until it gets to where it is just too dangerous to fish.  I have a 22' center console that I originally got to be able to fish open water for white bass/hybrids and the 105# thrust will hold it dead on spot even in white caps.  This last week wind got up way above what was predicted but the rougher it got, the better the fish bit.

I did look at the online reviews on bps site and there were definitely some bad reviews of the xi5 but most seemed to address the wireless foot remote.  Once again, I only used mine once with the initial calibration.  The last thing I will add is that if you don't do every step of the manual gps calibration it will not perform as well as it should.  There was one step I left out when I first started using it, and while it worked way better than my terrova ever did, there were some quirky things it would do when on anchor lock on calm days and with the presets.  Those things are non issues now. 

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2015, 06:56:03 PM »
Thanks so much for the information palestineag a great write up . I think that answered most questions i could think of at this

time . I have the  Minnkota terrova with i pilot i use both the remote and foot pedal mostly the remote but as you said i do use the foot

pedal fishing bridge pylons . The minnkota has two arrows at the back of the pedal i use to steer it with instead of  with toe

and heal like the old style pulley type. It came with the built in transducer but would not read with my down image unit humminbird.

so i mounted the original transducer on the bottom of the troll motor and ran the cable in the deep groove in the shaft . The humminbird 

works good if you go over a pile just hit the 4 way cursor  that will freeze the screen  so you can move the cursor over to mark a way point

on the pile. You can hit the go to feature and it will draw a bright red line from the boat to the pile and beep when you arrive. The factory

setting is off a few yards but will let you tweak the unit  to where it is right on the pile or way point.

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2015, 10:02:54 PM »
Interesting about tweaking the graph to where the gps is right on.  My waypoint seemed like it was off a few yards in a different direction every time.

If you are serious about getting an xi5 and want to see how the foot petal works you are more than welcome to check mine out if you are ever in the Lake Palestine area

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »
yes the funny thing is with humminbird they stopped the thing short of the way point  for bass fishermen

so they don't run over the piles and spook the fish they call it a casting ring and stops 20 yards short of the way

point to give bass fishermen a casting distance from the way point. you can go in there and adjusting that casting

ring closer to the pile.

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 03:40:50 PM »

Offline kylefield

• Guppy
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 07:51:51 PM »
After having the xi5 for several weeks now, I will say it is nothing short of amazing.  Last two trips in 15-20 mph winds was able to fish open water deep brush piles with ease.  I am pretty poor at running a foot petal TM but had someone with me that was well versed with one and we were also very pleased with how the wireless foot petal responded which would be needed under bridges where the motor is unable to get a gps signal. 

Had one trip where it was holding great on a pile but it was still windy enough to make fishing in the front of the boat miserable.  So just moved it forward three clicks and fished much more comfortably out of the back of the boat over the transom transducer.

Only had one situation that understandably gave it fits.  Was a no wind day with lots of recreational traffic and was getting slammed by wake from every direction and it didnt like that. 

Just a great, great motor!  Hope this helps if anyone is in the market for a new motor.

+1