Author Topic: Papa's Ole Jon Boat  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
Papa's Ole Jon Boat
« on: July 04, 2015, 07:06:21 PM »
My grandpa (Papa) gave me this boat 25 or so years ago.  Dad and I took it out several times and the only bad part about it is how uncomfortable it is.  A few years ago I moved back to Central Texas and bought my Ranger bass boat and it has been really nice to fish out of for up to three people.  Most of the time I go by myself in the mornings when I get off of work, so I really don't need that big of a boat, and for this year the boat ramps that I can launch my Ranger at have been closed.  A couple of weeks ago I found out there are two gravel ramps that you can use on Proctor and I got to thinking I won't launch the Ranger there, but that ole flat bottom would do the trick for sure.  It's a late 70's model Lowe 14/36 with a '77 Johnson 15hp motor.  I'm going to repaint the boat and trailer, add in some carpeted decks, put in swivel padded seats, install trolling motor, and wire for navigation lights.  I'm on the fence about installing led lighting for night time fishing.  Also going to change impeller, lower unit oil, probably rebuild the carb and just generally get this little puddle jumper back into usable status. 

It needs some work, but I look forward to the project.  Good thing is I don't have any leaks right now.
Don't sweat the small stuff!

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Slabmaster
Re: Papa's Ole Jon Boat
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 07:47:48 AM »
Looks like another good project.  When do you find time to fish? haha

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »
might be safe to throw in a new water pump impeller if it been a while..

you can get some good information on rebuilds here at tin boats .net

http://forum.tinboats.net/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=c865b4b516983aac3d9621007065dd88

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 09:09:17 AM »
Looks like another good project.  When do you find time to fish? haha

I haven't fished quite as much as last year, mainly just a few stock tanks and this time of year the ants eat you up.  But basically I have been working on the boats on the nights that I'm off.  It's been a real challenge getting used to the night schedule.  I hang out with my girls till they go to bed and then head to the shop and stay busy.

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:13:55 AM »
might be safe to throw in a new water pump impeller if it been a while..

you can get some good information on rebuilds here at tin boats .net

http://forum.tinboats.net/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=c865b4b516983aac3d9621007065dd88

That site is what convinced me to modify this boat.  There is just about anything you could want to know on tinboats.net about aluminum boats and small outboard engines.  As for the impeller, no doubt it's on the list. 

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 05:19:55 AM »
Received the carb and impeller rebuild kits in the mail yesterday.  I should be able to put these on Monday.  Need to carpet and install some new bunk boards and paint the trailer, then should be ready for use as it is.  I got some crappie condos that I can start putting out in this boat at Proctor.  I will post some pics as I go along. 

Offline ACAMS

• Crappie Keeper
    • myfolderz.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 11:18:34 AM »
That looks like a nice project.
Unless you bass fish a lot, you will be more comfortable and stable without a deck.
I use my 1236 for river and creek fishing and it works great with slider seat mounts.

I ordered the 31" long rails separately and very comfy with padded seats and can slide seat over to drive.

I use this Swivl-Eze Tilt-N-Slide

If you mostly bass fish and stay on the trolling motor, then the deck is a must, but is you are usually anchored or tied then sliders are best.
}><||(>     }><||(>     http://myfolderz.com/Jigs/pics.php     <)||><{     <)||><{

Free Image Uploader http://myfolderz.com/TCF/pics.php

Offline Kdog

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 10:17:25 AM »
Adding decks is not always agood idea. Decks and structure and carpet all add weight and those small jon boat although convienient are not rated for much weight.  Couple years ago a friend spent $$$$ did a great job. Storage, casting platform, rod locker etc... All unused compartments were foam filled (a good thing) Bilge pump. Well done except....... 2" above water the foam saved the boat because although the bilge pump keeps it from flooding, it runs so much he cant stay on the water more than 2 hours.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 10:59:08 AM »
Get the motor running, check the wheel bearings, clean it up and go fish... Project can start after the spawn... :Thumbsup

Used ta have one almost like it, but welded aluminum. Caught more fish out of it than my bass boat because it was easier to use. Sold um both when the college stuff rolled around, wish I coulda kept it. Main reason why I bought the boat I did last summer, combined the two into one. Looking forward to seeing the restoration, after watching the Ranger build I know its gonna be nice... :cheers
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 06:45:43 AM »
Tune up and impeller ......cheap graph .....some decent boat cushions and decent trolling motor bro ..... If it were mine that is all I would do to it .....as stated they don't need much weight added and they are way more stable sitting low in the Lowe ......
And you will be lake ready fast .....
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »
Well I finished the boat a few weeks ago.  Been fishing in it twice.  I added foam and layed 1/4" plywood on the floors and painted them.  My family really likes it the way it is, so for now I'm happy with it.  I've been launching on a gravel ramp on Proctor since the corp ramps are still closed and the little boat has been perfect for that.  Caught about a 10 lb blue cat last Monday along with a handful of crappie from under the bridge.  And my girls went swimming, so everybody was happy.  Will post pics soon along with a better description of construction.

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 06:33:29 PM »
I added carpet covered 3/4" plywood over the benches and countersunk seat pedestal bases into them.  I didn't put in raised decks, decided to add sheet foam between the ribs and riveted in 1/4" ply for the floor and added texture to the floor paint for anti-slip.  I opted for cheaper plywood floor instead of aluminum due to cost.  Now that we have been out and really like the layout of the boat as is when I do replace the floor I will go back with sheet aluminum.  Rebuilt the carb, rebuilt the fuel pump, changed out the impeller, and changed out the lower unit oil on the little 15 hp motor.  I painted the trailer to match, replaced the wheel bearing, replaced all hardware with stainless steel, and rewired it.  It was a fun project, but the best part was going out in the boat after all these years.  And the new upgrades made a massive difference in the comfort level.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 08:00:01 PM »
That looks awesome man...
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 09:16:12 PM »
That looks really good....I bet you're proud of her.

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 06:35:42 PM »
 :clap :clap :clap It looks great!