Author Topic: flat creek bridge  (Read 339 times)

Offline captain happy

• Crappie Slabmaster
flat creek bridge
« on: September 22, 2015, 06:45:13 PM »
Had a good day at flat creek. Tried jigs for the first hour this morning but after my wife caught 6 keepers on minnows and I had zero I had to switch to live bait. We ended the day with 28 in the live well.

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
Re: flat creek bridge
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 07:27:44 PM »
smart man.   :clap

I prefer jigs but my wife will only fish minnows.  And when she starts whipping me bad like that I quickly switch to minnows as well. 

Offline captain happy

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:33:14 PM »
Wish I could figure out the jig thing!

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:49:43 PM »
Great report and catch! I have never ventured that far north

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:50:37 PM »
I think it is a crappie thing more than a jig thing.  There are days when crappie will hit anything so any thing will work quite well.

There are days when they are picky and it takes a certain color and style of jig presented in a certain way to get their attention.

There are days when nothing but live bait will get strikes.  So you can't buy a bite using a jig.

And then there are days where nothing will turn them on.

And after spending twenty years fishing the Gulf Coast I have lost much of my feel for crappie and jigs.  So I'm trying to learn again.

For me the first rule is not to be a purist but give the crappie what they want.  If that is jigs then I'm extremely happy.  If it is minnows I'm happy.  And when they won't hit anything for me, well then I switch to bream fishing as it is rare that bream will not hit something.  :)

Offline Pepop

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:21:36 PM »
WTG Capt'n! Great catch! I'm checking out Ledbetter & Highsaw bridges in the morning. We'll see.

Offline captain happy

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 10:29:30 PM »
Thanks for the info ezgoing. We were catching them 10 ft deep basically a couple feet off the bottom. We just started at one end of the bridge and finished at the other. We covered a lot of water.

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 10:34:04 PM »
Just keep an ultralight outfit with you to fish for the bream when the crappie turn up their nose at you and you will never go home disappointed by not catching.  Well, almost never, as I have had a few days when even the bream turned up their nose at me.

And for some reason I haven't been able to get the break to take my jigs but they sure love the pieces of hot dog I feed them when they won't bite on anything else.   :ROFLMAO

Register