Author Topic: Thursday morning's trip got rained out!  (Read 373 times)

Offline Pepop

• Crappie Slabmaster
Thursday morning's trip got rained out!
« on: April 24, 2016, 02:00:58 AM »
So Gerald & I tried again Friday morning. It was a beautiful morning and we fished hard but the numbers weren't interested. Post Front, Pleasant North wind, water temp up 5 degrees in 4 days.... IDK which of these excuses is best but regardless, we caught a few. Gerald took 13 home to clean.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES!!! I talked to Jason Burton around noon Saturday and he said his 3-man guide trip really WHACKED them and he was heading to the marina around 1:30 and could I bring him his bucket that I had borrowed a few days earlier. Sure enough, Jason was about to clean WAY MORE than a 5 gal. Bucket full for his clients! That gave me hope! I called my son when I got home and asked if he wanted to go fishin and he said sure but he had to mow first and it would probably be around 5 before he could get to my house. I figured we'd have a couple hours to fish and visit a bit. Besides, he HAD to come see my new Crappie Sled Puller! So, here's the tale  of our 1st fishing trip in over 5 years...

It was a very special day, PERIOD! 1st off, Dale (my 1st born) HAD to come see my new Crappie Sled Puller!

After he was thoroughly impressed with the truck, we set out to hunt for a few crappie. After putting the Stratos in the water, and knowing we only had a couple of hours, I debated between bridge fishin or brushpile fishin and settled on neither. Instead we made a bee-line across the lake to a favorite post-spawn spot of mine, hoping a few had moved in. We milled around trying here & there with no takers for a half hour or so. Then I happened upon a "SWEET SPOT"! After I swept the rod up 3-4 times and boated 2-3 solid keepers, Dale took notice and started matching me move for move. For an hour & a half we were both getting thumped on EVERY DROP!! And when they quit, THEY QUIT!! We culled through several unders and boated 2 solid 1 3/4#'ers, finishing the evening with 31 for my boy to clean. All in All, it was a most enjoyable 2 hours!

here's Dale with 2 of the bigger fish;

This is the cooler half full of nice fish for him to clean!

Hopefully it won't be 5+ years before the next trip! In fact, he had so much fun he assured me next time my sweet granddaughter would accompany him (Lainee can outfish us both if the fish are there!). I said "I'm ready, Name the day!"

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: Thursday morning's trip got rained out!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 03:11:10 AM »
Awesome...
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 04:42:42 AM »
Awesome story and report Vern!

Offline captain happy

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:55:09 AM »
The wife and I did good yesterday at the big bridge. Took awhile to find the spot but when we did its was non stop for a couple hours.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 01:25:25 PM »
Nicely done Pepop.....that time with the kids really get hard to come by once they start their own families.....cool sled puller too... :Thumbsup
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Esnow74

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 07:02:27 AM »
You da man Pepop

Register