Author Topic: Finally a good day  (Read 152 times)

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
Finally a good day
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:09:06 PM »
The last four or five trips for crappie on Palestine have been tough for us.  Would fish six to eight hours and work hard for twenty to thirty fish.  Blamed it on the weather as every trip we were fishing in either drizzle or just an all out down pour.  Figured they were just scattered but it was slow enough that we decided to switch back to white bass/hybrid fishing and was actually doing pretty decent.  Well yesterday they were calling for 30% chance of rain which we took to mean it would rain all day but we still brought a few crappie rods anyway.

Sure enough, no sooner than we started around noon that we started getting rained on and the 6-8 mph wind that was predicted was more like sustained 15+.  Started with whites and hybrids and they didn't disappoint.  Had a cooler full and my buddy said he needed to take off a little early so I ran him back to the dock.  The sun was just starting to peak out so decided to go check a few spots that I could find out of the wind. Long story short the crappie finally decided to cooperate.  Hands down best color was bright orange/chartreuse and it wasn't close.  Tried other colors but only other one that got bit at all was blue/white.  Caught fish from 18-30' on brush and submerged timber.  Had several in the 1.5# range but best one was #25 that came in at 2# even. 

Almost filled up the 120 qt cooler. Limit of crappie on top of a double limit of magnum white bass

Day started off right.  They are clearing lots in our subdivision and they had a big pile of trees they were getting ready to shred but were nice enough to let me and my boys take two trailers of cedars that will be used in the near future for habitat improvement.

Hopefully more trips like this to come in the near future

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: Finally a good day
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:42:07 PM »
Heck ya, looks like a good day...
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline SgtCrabby

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:07:15 PM »
Looking like a good day catching.
You gonna tell where you hide dem trees?   :LOL

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »
Way to hang in there and get it done.  That's what makes crappie fishing fun to me is the challenge of finding active fish.  Boy I hope you got a good sharp knife.
Don't sweat the small stuff!

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »
That's gonna be some fine eating right there....

Hehehehahahahaaaaaa, not only is a sharp knife needed but have that sharpener at the ready also.....

WTG PA....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Pepop

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 12:58:35 AM »
OUTSTANDING Martin! Beautiful fish!

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 06:05:42 AM »
Thanks guys

To me those trees are almost as beautiful as the fish.  Cant decide if they need to go deep or shallow...decisions,decisions.

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 04:22:38 PM »
Now, that was a good day of fishing.  Outstanding!

Register