Author Topic: slabzillas  (Read 85 times)

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Slabmaster
slabzillas
« on: July 08, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »
Kind of slow at daylight but picked up some later in the morning.  Lots of boats on the lake.  This retirement has spoiled me....I'm used to having the lake mostly to myself.  Brought home 15.  Caught a few really big ones on ......"PePops  Electric Chicken".  Thanks PePop!!!!!  Brush piles are the ticket right now and the bite is very, very, very, very light....like you might not even feel it.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: slabzillas
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 06:23:15 PM »
Them is some purdy ones...
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline Denhaire

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 07:16:53 PM »
You just hit the nail on the proverbial head.  I won't go out on weekends because of too many amateurs (boaters--not fishermen).  I hit the lake at sunrise during the week and leave as the Texas sun gets sweltering.  Went Friday and was blessed with 10 of the most beautiful crappie one could hope for.  I will try to take pictures from now on.  Love my retired life.  Cook for the church, fish during the week, love the last of my life.  I turn 70 tomorrow.  It just doesn't get any better.  And Pepop contributes to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 10:26:05 PM »
You just hit the nail on the proverbial head.  I won't go out on weekends because of too many amateurs (boaters--not fishermen).  I hit the lake at sunrise during the week and leave as the Texas sun gets sweltering.  Went Friday and was blessed with 10 of the most beautiful crappie one could hope for.  I will try to take pictures from now on.  Love my retired life.  Cook for the church, fish during the week, love the last of my life.  I turn 70 tomorrow.  It just doesn't get any better.  And Pepop contributes to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Well Happy Birthday!  I don't typically fish on weekends but I was wanting to go really bad and I need an occasional reminder why I don't fish on weekends.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 05:04:44 AM »
What's that little one doing in the picture?  :)

Those are some nice looking crappie.   :clap :clap :clap

Yeah, I give up fishing on the lake on weekends and holidays several years back.  Too many idiots on the lake and most of them don't seem to understand hi powered bass boats don't have brakes.  And then they argue that they create less waves when they fly by you than they would if they slowed down and idled past you.  Shame the law doesn't require an IQ test before being allowed to buy a hi powered bass boat.  OR a jet ski.

I'm getting my pontoon back from the shop Monday or Tuesday.  I'm thinking about trying a little nite fishing under a floating green light to see how that works.  In the 80's I used to fish all night long under floating lights during the summer heat.

Don't think I'm capable of fishing all nite anymore but I am going to try to fish for a few hours right after dusk to see how it goes.

But those sure are some beauties that you caught.  Except for that one little guy.  :)   :clap :clap :clap

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 07:04:29 AM »
Very nice fish!  Between work and family, I just have to be happy with when I can get out.  Mostly fish Friday afternoons but that doesn't seem to be much better than the weekend as far as boat traffic goes.  Have a buddy that fishes whenever he wants and he says Tuesday and Wednesday are his favorite days to hit the lake. 

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
What's that little one doing in the picture?  :)

Those are some nice looking crappie.   :clap :clap :clap

Yeah, I give up fishing on the lake on weekends and holidays several years back.  Too many idiots on the lake and most of them don't seem to understand hi powered bass boats don't have brakes.  And then they argue that they create less waves when they fly by you than they would if they slowed down and idled past you.  Shame the law doesn't require an IQ test before being allowed to buy a hi powered bass boat.  OR a jet ski.

I'm getting my pontoon back from the shop Monday or Tuesday.  I'm thinking about trying a little nite fishing under a floating green light to see how that works.  In the 80's I used to fish all night long under floating lights during the summer heat.

Don't think I'm capable of fishing all nite anymore but I am going to try to fish for a few hours right after dusk to see how it goes.

But those sure are some beauties that you caught.  Except for that one little guy.  :)   :clap :clap :clap
The little one is 11 inches.  I laid him there for comparison.  Night fishing is fun but I'm not set up for it very well.  It sure beats the heat though.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 08:16:37 AM »

They are still out there, and way less traffic! :Thumbsup

Happy birthday Slab... :BestWishes
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 06:09:37 PM »
Yeah I tell ya that w-end feeshn makes ya step up your catchn game for sure....I have a bunch of video that I prolly won't put out juss yet that shows some purdy rough conditions.. . Not only from the wind but shows big waves from those good for nothing wake boats, jet skies & the other shoe clerks in all kinds of boats....
Add a light bite to that and there will be a lot of swings & misses....
I've been using 1/8oz heads to help feel the bite but it's still tough....
Nice catchn there sir & you've got some slabs there...
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 10:48:22 PM »
The little one is 11 inches.  I laid him there for comparison.  Night fishing is fun but I'm not set up for it very well.  It sure beats the heat though.

Kinda of nice when the babies you catch are 11 inches.   :clap :clap

I'm not really set up for night fishing right now.  I've fished as much at night as I have during the day most of my life.  But I haven't done any with the pontoon and it's not set up for it right now.

I have one green underwater light I made but haven't tested yet.  I have enough material to make two more if I like how it looks.  If not I will probably just buy a couple of the floating headlight types and use them.  That's what I used in the 80's with good results.

But I doubt I will ever bring in a string the one you had here.  I would be bragging about catching a 11 inch myself.

Register