Author Topic: All to myself  (Read 143 times)

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
All to myself
« on: October 05, 2017, 04:54:38 PM »
 Some pics while eating my burrito this morning.  Only one other boat on the lake this morning and just a few later in the day.  Beautiful day on the water.  Caught a ton of fish today but most were about 1/2 in. from being legal.  Finally found some good uns at the dam.  Been fishing this lake since the early 80's and have never caught any white bass until the last two outings.  Found the fish right on the bottom in water 14 to 20 ft. deep.  PePops electric chicken did a pretty good job today.

Offline SgtCrabby

• Crappie Keeper
Re: All to myself
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:29:08 PM »
Nice!
I love being out without a ton of boats trying to run you over.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:48:37 PM »
Best time of the year to be fishing.
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 04:01:11 AM »
The weather has been nice, with just enough breeze to keep you cool.  I don't understand why so few are fishing right now.

We have fished our slip just about every day over the last ten days or so.  We catch around 30 crappie each day, fishing around two hours each day.  Most are just under size but we generally managed to catch 2-3 each day that are legal.

I suspect part of our problem is another slip holder who fishes the whole dock every morning.  He says he catches 30-40 keepers every morning, many of which are 12" or larger.  He says he keeps 1/2 of them and leaves the other half in a basket for his slip partner, who picks them up later in the day.  Since he is catching so many keepers each morning he might be taking most of the larger crappie before we get there.

But it is nice that my wife is finally interested in fishing again so the dinks are fun to catch. 

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 07:43:24 AM »
Have to remember some fishermen tell fishing stories...lol...and if he is catching that many by himself then he's breaking the law.  Yep, catching dinks is fun...they usually thump harder than the big uns and it's the anticipation of what's on the end of the line that's fun for me.  Glad ya'll are getting out and enjoying this cooler weather.  I hope we have a long fall and don't just jump into  winter.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:54:19 AM »
Excellent pics & I just love being lonesome on the lake.... can feesh any hole you want...YEA

GREAT to hear y'all are back enjoying feeshn again Ed....

What would that guy be doin with all those feeshes he's keeping.....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
Have to remember some fishermen tell fishing stories...lol...and if he is catching that many by himself then he's breaking the law.  Yep, catching dinks is fun...they usually thump harder than the big uns and it's the anticipation of what's on the end of the line that's fun for me.  Glad ya'll are getting out and enjoying this cooler weather.  I hope we have a long fall and don't just jump into  winter.

I have had other slip holders tell me he catches his limit of nice keepers every day before he goes home.   

When we first started fishing last month he asked how we were doing.  I told him we were having a ton of fun catching dinks but hadn't caught any keepers yet.  He said he was going home and asked if we would like what he had caught.  He said he had plenty in his freezer.  So he gave us 18 11-13 inch crappie, saying he didn't keep anything smaller than 10 1/2 inches.   He also gave me a fish basket when I mentioned our fish basket had disappeared during the move from Joe Pool Marina and I had not had a chance to replace it.  He said he had five baskets and only needed two.  He seems to be an extremely nice guy who loves to fish for crappie.

I have seen his partner come on the dock with an empty bucket and return ten minutes later with a bucket full of crappie.  I asked him where I could buy a magic bucket like that.  He laughted and said his slip partner fished every morning and left half his catch each day for him as he didn't get to fish that often.  He has shown me the bucket several times and it always has a lot of nice looking crappie in it.

So I can't verify the numbers he catches but I do know he catches a lot of nice sized keepers each day as I have seen either the ones he left with or the ones his partner left with  on several days.  He may only keep a limit of crappie each day and is exaggerating the total number he catches.  So there are a lot of nice sized crappie around the dock, don't know why we are only catching the dinks since the water depth is consistent the length of the dock.

I am just glad we are on a productive dock as even the dinks are fun to catch.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:17:18 PM by Ed »

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 01:48:35 PM »
Excellent pics & I just love being lonesome on the lake.... can feesh any hole you want...YEA

GREAT to hear y'all are back enjoying feeshn again Ed....

What would that guy be doin with all those feeshes he's keeping.....

Many years ago the wife and I would fish Lake Cleburne every weekend, bringing home 100 keepers 12" or larger each weekend.  I know that seems like a fish tale but in the 80"s Cleaburne Lake produced huge numbers of large crappie.  I would clean 20 each week for our use and clean the remainder for elderly neighbors to eat.

Rough to think I'm one of those elderly neighbors myself now.   :(  But I hope I never get so elderly that I can't fish.

At Joe Pool Marina we had a gentleman who fished the docks every morning and every night.  He didn't eat fish but said he loved to catch them.  He said he gave them to the elderly ladies at his church who didn't have husbands for fish for them anymore.  I asked him if he cleaned them before he gave them to the ladies and he replied not if he could help it.  :)

so he may be giving a lot of them away to neighbors who can't fish.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »
I have family & friends that love me because I give several packs of fileted crappie to them.... they also look to me to supply family fish fries also..... that's a lot of work but I enjoy the catchn part so I'll deal with the work.....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 08:34:50 PM »
I have family & friends that love me because I give several packs of fileted crappie to them.... they also look to me to supply family fish fries also..... that's a lot of work but I enjoy the catchn part so I'll deal with the work.....

My rule for giving crappie to those under 60 has always been if you eat it, you clean it.  I was more than willing to give crappie but I drew the line at cleaning the crappie for them if they were not a senior citizen.  Now that I am a senior citizen I realize that a lot of the senior citizens got over on me and could have cleaned their own fish.   :ROFLMAO

So my rule now is I will only clean fish for those I am sure are not capable of cleaning the fish themselves.

If you are too lazy to clean them then you don't deserve fresh fish and can buy your fish at the store.   :ROFLMAO

Offline SgtCrabby

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 09:18:08 PM »
I agree: 
if you can clean, then you clean. 
If you can't clean, then that's a different story (not knowing how to clean is fixed by lessons).

And if you don't want to clean it, buy it.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 03:09:32 AM »
Sorry Bush Hog.  I just realized I hijacked your thread and that was not my intention.

I still don't understand why I have seen so few fishing the last few weeks.  The bite has been good, it hasn't been that hot and the breeze has been enough to keep it cool enough to fish.

Ed