Author Topic: Cool day for August  (Read 81 times)

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
Cool day for August
« on: August 03, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
What a nice morning on the water.  Cool air, calm winds and hungry fish.  It was my buddy's turn to guide me around today and it was plum enjoyable.  Didn't have to mess with the trolling mtr. or depth finder....just sit back and fish.  The bigger fish would just barely tap the jig and the little fish just committed suicide with it.  Boats docks have been empty the last 6 weeks or so but we gave them a shot today when the brush piles slowed down.  Glad we did.... the docks are starting to come back around.  We finished the day at noon with 29 in the cooler.   We were on the last dock and the bite had quit when I told my buddy to wait just a second while I tried my secret weapon.  I tied on a PePop 1/24 oz. jig, shot it under the dock and BOOM.  Put 2 more in the cooler.  Love it when I can trick em'

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: Cool day for August
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
Thats awesome, I knew it was a good morning ta be on the water....
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 10:23:04 PM »
Nice!

jigman, every day is a nice day to be on the water, even if it is pouring down rain.  But if it is pouring down rain I want to be inside the fishing barge.  :)

Seriously, Joe Pool was smooth as glass this afternoon.  The wife wanted to go for a ride so I took her over over both bridges and then stopped at the slip for a few moments.  The lake surface was smooth.  But the slip was too warm since there wasn't a breeze blowing to cool it off.  I need to get a fan hooked up. 

I sure miss my old slip at Joe Pool Marina.  I think I will hold it against the Park Service forever for closing that marina.  :(

Bush Hog, I've been catching small ones around my slip this past week, around noon each day. 

I can only spend 30 minutes to an hour at a time each day but I have been getting bites on jigs there.  And some of the regulars that fish that dock tell me that minnows are producing bigger crappie there right now.  But given the limited time I can spend each trip it's not worth getting minnows to me.

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:02:43 PM »
Heck Ed, it takes me 30 minutes just to catch a minnow and get it on a hook...lol  We had a nice cloud cover here yesterday for most of the morning.  Looking forward to fall and winter fishing.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 09:38:58 PM »
Nicely done BH.....

NOT having to worry with boat location/control is well enjoyed... how ketchn don't see this....LOL
At least I've tried getting him on my float but it ain't worked yet.....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 11:52:54 PM »
Heck Ed, it takes me 30 minutes just to catch a minnow and get it on a hook...lol  We had a nice cloud cover here yesterday for most of the morning.  Looking forward to fall and winter fishing.

when you hit my age you don't look forward to future fishing seasons.  You just fish each day, thankful that you got to fish another day.  :) 

Register