Author Topic: what a day  (Read 819 times)

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
what a day
« on: June 12, 2015, 10:30:47 PM »
Was on the lake just after sunrise and could not find a crappie to save my life.  Could not even get a bite.  Finally gave up on the specs and broke out my bass rods.  Now the bass were really cooperative today.  Forgot I was sitting just out from under a low bridge when I set the hook on a ditch pickle, hit the bridge, and broke my brand new Shimano rod in half.  Caught lots of bass and decided to call it a day but wanted to try one more time for a crappie bite.  It was 10:45 am and THUMP and then another THUMP.  Then I remembered reading someone's thread that they had been fishless too until about mid day.  Could not stay much longer, threatening to storm again, but managed a dozen keepers on a orange jig with green tail feathers.  And the bass, good grief, were wrecking my crappie jigs.  I put the BoneHead to the test today on those bass and it performed great.  Got home and the wife had me a sandwich fixed, fried bologna on jalapeno cornbread.  All three units running this morning which means lots of current in the lake.  Almost like fishing in the river.  Water about 90+ degrees and visibility about 3 or 4 feet.  Fish in 25 fow suspended about 10 to 12 ft.
Thought I had another big ditch pickle but instead pulled up a double.

I'm not very good at selfies.

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
Re: what a day
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 07:16:34 AM »
nicely done

Offline Esnow74

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 07:26:25 AM »
sounds like a good time except breaking the rod. Probably should not try to win that new Bonehead if you just plan on breaking them.  :LOL

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 08:01:33 AM »
sounds like a good time except breaking the rod. Probably should not try to win that new Bonehead if you just plan on breaking them.  :LOL
I'm on a roll.  That's two rods in two weeks.  Can I borrow your best rod till I get a new one? :ROFLMAO

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 06:25:58 PM »
That's what makes crappie fishing so much fun.  They are unpredictable at best.  Seems like once I think I have something figured out they change it up on me. 
Don't sweat the small stuff!

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 08:44:37 PM »
Doubles are always fun.....WTG BH...
Those rod tips are sometimes in the wrong places & sometimes they are too long.....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 08:48:42 AM »
Doubles are always fun.....WTG BH...
Those rod tips are sometimes in the wrong places & sometimes they are too long.....
I seem to have developed a way to shorten those rods that are too long. :ROFLMAO

Offline el Rojo

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 09:45:52 AM »
 :cheers  Looks like you had a good day.....well except for the rod.

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 09:06:32 PM »
Sorry to hear about the rod.  Sounds like you had a ton of fun but paid a price for it.