Author Topic: 1994 Ranger Restore  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
1994 Ranger Restore
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:07:53 AM »
I bought this boat in April 2013.  The carpet was fairly worn when I bought it, but the gelcoat looked good, or so I thought.  I've kept it covered when not in use and a couple of months after I got it the oxidation started to show up.  I tried to compound it out with Meguilar's 69, and it looked good again for a couple of months.  So I decided to tackle it this winter.  I wet sanded with 800, then 1000, 1500, and finally 2000.  After that I used Nu-Paint Moisturizer from Protec and buffed it in with a machine and boy howdy did it come back to life. 
Before
URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/outlawelectric/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsms4fre4q.jpg.html][/URL]
After

One More

I worked on the carpet the last couple of days.  Had to make templates since the old carpet came out in pieces.  Managed to get all the deck carpeting glued down and for my first time doing this I'm pretty happy with the results.  I did make a rookie mistake and not get enough glue though, so although I cut all the carpet for the hatch doors it will have to wait a couple more weeks for more glue.  I researched glues a good bit before I started and decided to go with the Henry 263.  Only thing is with this glue I have to order it from a local carpet store and wait on their truck, but I can wait two more weeks.  While I'm waiting I can get all the trim and covers and such put back on, and change out my impeller and lower unit oil.  No real big hurry, been working on this since February and I'm pretty sure the hard parts are behind me now.  More to come as I get time.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Offline Pepop

• Crappie Slabmaster
Re: 1994 Ranger Restore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 08:10:57 AM »
What a FINE looking ride! That polish job looks factory fresh! Excellent work!

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 08:11:56 AM »
Excellent work OLE, I'd almost swear that ain't the same boat.....
Bet it's old owner wouldn't know it & when he found out it's the same boat he would hate he sold it....
I've gotta remember the name of that polish, keep us updated on your progress & thanks for sharing....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 10:00:26 AM »
Awesome job indeed!

Offline Dr Erk

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 10:20:11 AM »
Very nice! A+

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 02:44:38 PM »
You have made it into a crappie chaser you can be proud to ride in.   :clap

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:33:18 AM »
that sure enough looks mighty nice
keep her out of the sun
and
KABOOM  :clap
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »
That looks awesome.  Would love to see more pictures as you progress.
To whom much is given, much is required.

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 06:14:17 PM »
Well I finished this project a few weeks ago.  It turned out better than I thought it would.  Carpeting has a small learning curve just because I've never done it before.  Also I changed out the impeller assembly and lower unit oil.  Ready to go to the lake.  Ramps should be open in a month or so on Proctor.
URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/outlawelectric/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsunif4rzg.jpg.html][/URL]

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 07:50:14 PM »
Awesome work man, thats a ride you can be proud of....
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 07:42:40 AM »
Beautiful work.  Be a shame to get crappie slime all over it but, GO FOR IT. :Thumbsup
To whom much is given, much is required.

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 08:29:34 AM »
very good looking job i know how that felt i did my first carpet job on my 19 foot skeeter bass boat

a year or so ago. the straight runs were not that hard. But the spray adhesive helped me a lot on

making the corners on the lids.

great job on the gelcoat

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 09:18:33 AM »
Thanks for the comments Gentlemen.  One thing I did forget to mention is I got all the information for this little restoration project at bbcboards.net.  That forum has a ton of info in the restoration section and a bunch of very knowledgable folks to answer questions. 

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 09:36:58 AM »
very good looking job i know how that felt i did my first carpet job on my 19 foot skeeter bass boat

a year or so ago. the straight runs were not that hard. But the spray adhesive helped me a lot on

making the corners on the lids.

great job on the gelcoat

I only had one oops.  I was tired and had already laid the carpet on the decks and I rolled out the rest of the carpet on the floor and positioned my lids on it making sure lids were laid in line with the grain and I accidentally turned the big rod locker lid 180 degrees and cut it out.  That took some jig saw puzzling to compensate for that mistake.  I didn't realize how much carpet waste there is on those angled lids.  It's a 16 foot boat and I ordered 25 foot of carpet.  I would have had 5 foot left over had I cut it all right the first time, but since I didn't I used every inch of it.  Word to the wise a few feet extra is a good thing to have, especially since minimum order on this carpet is 10 feet.  I used Henry's 263 carpet glue on everything including the sides of the lids.  I bought 300 clothes pins and used them to clamp the carpet on the sides of the lids.  It worked very well.

Offline Pepop

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 10:02:53 AM »
Justin, I don't think the factory could've done any better on that carpet! Looks PERFECT!

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »
Definitely a boat to be proud of.  And the fact that you rebuilt it just adds icing to the cake.  :)

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 05:35:40 PM »
Fabulous job for sure, you have to be proud of how that turned out....
Fishn trips are well deserved after putting that amount if work into her...
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....