Author Topic: Opinions Needed  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
Opinions Needed
« on: November 13, 2015, 12:22:16 AM »
Let me start by saying that I only tie for myself and a few for friends and family and have no want to tie for the public or sale jigs in any way.  Trying to make money from a hobbie turns it into work, and takes the enjoyment out of it for me.  Christmas is just around the corner and I have been thinking about getting into pouring my own jig heads for awhile now. 

My question to the guys that do pour their own is "Is it worth the extra trouble to pour my own?"

Given that I don't use very many this may not be a very good idea since there is a learning curve on anything, and as little as I would pour could I realistically expect to get good results without doing it any more than I expect I will. 

On the other hand I have been less than impressed with the quality of the jig heads I have been buying lately, I won't mention names that's not what this is about, and think that I could do better pouring them myself. 

Let me know what y'all think. 
Don't sweat the small stuff!

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: Opinions Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:15:10 AM »
 :IAgree :NiceThread
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline HMK

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »
For me it's not. I get mine poured for .10 each. I just ordered 750 and that will lasted me a long long time.
Stop Wishin', Go Fishin'

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 09:20:04 AM »
For me it's not. I get mine poured for .10 each. I just ordered 750 and that will lasted me a long long time.
are they sickle hooks? How are they holding up? How long does it take to get'em after ordering?
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline HMK

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 09:22:36 AM »
Yes Sir. Sickle hooks. The time depends, sometimes fast and sometime it takes a month or so. I don't rush him, I just place my order and he tells me when they are ready. They hold up great!
Stop Wishin', Go Fishin'

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 02:47:37 PM »
Would you share who you're getting them from?
Have you had any issues with them straightening out or breaking?

Offline HMK

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 07:39:37 PM »
pm sent
Stop Wishin', Go Fishin'

ACAMS

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »

My question to the guys that do pour their own is "Is it worth the extra trouble to pour my own?"

NO!!!!

Pain in the butt!!!

I got to where the only thing I pour now are No-Roll sinkers for the river ...... and that is a pain in the butt too!!!

Offline John Collins

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 08:25:33 AM »

NO!!!!

Pain in the butt!!!

I got to where the only thing I pour now are No-Roll sinkers for the river ...... and that is a pain in the butt too!!!
Haha. I have all kinds of molds that I pour. I make fishing weights as in no roll up to 5 oz, bank sinkers up to 10 oz, flat bank up to 5 oz, no snag, round flat with brass eye, egg weights, and few others. I also hate pouring my own jigheads. I have around 3000 or 4000 hooks I need to pour up haha. I would rather buy them.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Register