Author Topic: Well Yak  (Read 1074 times)

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
Well Yak
« on: April 02, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »
Aight y'all I think I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on me a yak....
Looking hard at the Pelican Catch 120.....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: Well Yak
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »
Bean wanting one myself... My back just won't take it.
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline metalcutterr

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 10:21:13 PM »
Just watches a video review of that yak and it looks like a good one.

<*{{{{{~<

Offline Dr Erk

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
If any of the kayak dealers up there offer demos, I'd recommend you go paddle a few before you make your decision. I've heard good things about that pelican model, but I'd try to get on a few of different widths and lengths to make sure that's the kind of kayak you want.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 01:55:17 PM »
Yeah I'd like to do some test paddles but I don't think pelican offers any....
ACK is putting a demo day together soon in Houston but I have a tourney that day.....
DE how are you liking your yak?
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Dr Erk

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 08:38:16 AM »
Its miles above my old one. I still love my Jackson Cuda, but being able to cover much more water with no fatigue in the Hobie Outback is a real game changer, not to mention being able to hold a fishing pole while moving.

But, for a first kayak, I'm sure the catch 120 will be great. Not sure that it will be the best to paddle long distances... It will be slower than a "v" hull kayak and will not track as straight while moving, but should be super stable.

Just wondering, what kind of water are you fishing, and how important is standing up on your kayak to you?

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:04:39 AM »
Well I do have a couple cramps in my back evar-now-and-then so being able to stand would help with that.....lakes & river fishn will be bout all I do & purdy much only feeshn fer crappie so I'll be on top of piles more than anything....

Offline Dr Erk

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 01:22:11 PM »
You definitely want a kayak with a high position seat like the Catch 120 then, though most kayaks will accommodate an upgraded seat these days. If you don't have to paddle too far, it sounds like the 120 is for you. If you have to paddle 1.5 miles+ before you get to your target location, you might want to look into something a little faster, but the catch should get you there either way.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 03:18:10 PM »
All the reviews I've read/looked at says it's faster than what anyone would think...
Although I'll be purchasing a gas saver pickemup soon what concerns me about the Catch 120 is the weight.....after a long paddle those arms will more than likely not be what they were before....to toss it on the roof of tha hooopty.....

Offline Dr Erk

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 07:54:59 PM »
Yeah I have a Tacoma. Got a harbor freight special bed extender and yaks fit fine. With that long of a kayak you'll definitely want one.