Author Topic: My trolling motor developed a loud squeak last time out.......  (Read 733 times)

Offline Dutch

• Crappie Keeper
  • Spiderman
.... and I thought I'd lost a bearing. I quit fishing and went home. I called MinnKota and they said it could be repaired, and said I should take it to one of their 300 authorized repair shops.  I remembered that Fishing tackle Unlimited has a trolling motor repair shop so I called them. They said it was hard to tell what the problem was, but they could probably fix it.  I took it to them yesterday around 1:30 and left it there. The said it would probably be a few days to fix it, depending on what parts they may have to order. At 3:30 that afternoon, I got a call from them and they said it was fixed. So I went to get it. The problem was the seal behind the prop which had come loose in the unit.  They replaced it and the squeal went away. He said it was running fine and silently now. Got it reinstalled today on the boat, and I'm ready to go. Total cost was $28 and change. If you ever need a repair on your trolling motor, this place is really good, and honest. They could have told me about anything for the cause, and charged me hundreds of dollars, but they didn't.

He also told me a tip. He said if there is a slight vibration in the unit when running, it may be the prop. He said these thing are not always balanced, and a possible fix was to just remove the prop and rotate it 180 degrees and put it back on. After I got the thing reinstalled, there was a very slight vibration when running at a fast speed. So I rotated the prop like he said and now there is virtually no vibration.
I woke up this morning.  At my age, that is a GOOD thing!

Offline Outlawelectric

• Crappie Keeper
Re: My trolling motor developed a loud squeak last time out.......
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 10:45:27 AM »
That is good information Dutch.  Thank you for posting this and glad everything worked out for you.
Don't sweat the small stuff!

Offline Jerry T

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:29:44 AM »
Thank you for the knowledge.....

Offline SgtCrabby

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 10:03:09 PM »
Good info to know, thanks Dutch.
I'm a boat owner newbie, and these 'tidbits'  are something I will probably need someday.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 05:15:31 AM »
Good idea to pull the prop ever now and then and check fer string behind it... Might save you a seal... :fish
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 06:55:55 AM »
I got vibration in mine and I thought it was just all the line I wrap up in it ......interesting read .....I may flip my prop ....thanks for the info  :clap
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Register