Author Topic: Slowly coming around  (Read 399 times)

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
Slowly coming around
« on: August 23, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »
Haven't been on Martin in while.  I have a terrible time finding crappie on this lake in the summer but with the little bit of cooler weather they are starting to come out of hiding.  The surface temp was 87 today and that's about 5 degrees cooler than the last time I was out there.  I finally found some crappie holding on a ledge that drops from 12 ft. to 18ft. and I really had to work for a bite.   The best jig today was Ketchn's carrot.  Left my camera in the truck so I don't have any pics.  I gave my catch to a bank fisherman and between the crappie and bass he should have plenty to eat.  No problem finding bass today.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: Slowly coming around
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 03:20:22 PM »
Ain't nothin wrong with that & the conditions you got'em in its a hot spot for sure.....been workn fer me too....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:59:46 PM »
Very nice! Quick question for you guys that fish structure like ledges for crappie.  How do you know where to even start?  I'm guessing you use your graph but do you look for big concentrations of fish and how do you know what kind of fish you suspect that you are seeing short of catching them.  Do different species appear in different patterns typically or or different structures?

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 07:08:04 PM »
Business should be pickin up about the time the feathers start flyin...
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 08:43:10 PM »
Very nice! Quick question for you guys that fish structure like ledges for crappie.  How do you know where to even start?  I'm guessing you use your graph but do you look for big concentrations of fish and how do you know what kind of fish you suspect that you are seeing short of catching them.  Do different species appear in different patterns typically or or different structures?
These fish were in an area that's know to hold crappie and I just found them while scanning.  When scouting out ledges I usually start with a topo map and just go from there.  If you can find a ledge with brush on it then you pretty much bet their are crappie peeking out at you.  I wish I had take a screen shot but I have never seen black bass stack together as tight as crappie.  I don't know for sure until I drop a jig on their heads.  Now, with all that said, most of the time when I find a good ledge or brush pile it's just plain and simple luck but that's OK with me.

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 05:44:07 AM »
Many thanks. Ledges is where I will usually start looking for crappie cover and alot of times I will see pods of decent fish and suspect they are crappie.  Look just a little different than sand bass.  However by the time I turn around they are always gone so I gave up doing that and will only go back and fish if there is cover there.  There have been a few spots in the spring right on the edges of spawning flats that there was always fish and I just never could figure out how to catch them.  One spot always looked so good I sank a tree there and it ended up being one of my best producers for 2# spring time fish.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 08:06:33 AM »
If ya find tha cover you'll find tha feesh..... :fish
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Esnow74

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 01:11:58 PM »
At least you found some and had some time on the water. The time on the water has been escaping me for most of the year and it stinks.