Author Topic: Humble Pie served today  (Read 317 times)

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
Humble Pie served today
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:49:09 PM »
Had a hard time catching any keepers today.  Caught several fish but they all had the short-tail disease.  Even the bass were short today.  Thought I found them one time but that bite fizzled out quick.  Just couldn't put a pattern together today.... Oh well, that's why it's called fishing. :fish

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: Humble Pie served today
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:21:15 AM »
Ate a bunch of that last year... Hope this year is better. :fish
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 12:21:29 PM »
Did you find any bait fish?
My past couple boating trips were no doubt different....
Gonna give another technique a try this w-end to test a theory I feel....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 07:42:31 PM »
Did you find any bait fish?
My past couple boating trips were no doubt different....
Gonna give another technique a try this w-end to test a theory I feel....
No, didn't find many bait fish.  Matter of fact, didn't see many tilapia on the hot water side either and this time of year that's odd. I did boat a few keepers and they were sitting right on the bottom in 17 fow.

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »
Got to go out for the first time in a while this week and the bite was definitely alot different than last time out.  Surface temps down quite a bit.  Had been catching good fish from 16-20' on the bottom so that's where we started but was only getting a few here and there. As we were idling to a spot in 20' we passed over a laid down tree in 30' in close proximity and it looked absolutely stacked.  Fished the pile and managed two fish in 15 minutes then eased back to the tree. Pulled out line to 22-25' down where the fish were on the graph and it was on like spring time.  They were hammering the jig as soon as it got in front of them.  Fishing up to that point had been slow so we hadnt been keeping count but soon cooler was at the two man limit line so we quit keeping em. Had another deep water spot on the other side of the lake that always looked like a beautiful tree when idling over it but had never fished because thought it was too deep.  Graphed it next...stacked and fish on.  Fish were super healthy and turns out the summertime two man limit line in the cooler translated to 41 winter fatties.  Had three fish between 2-0 and 2-2 and several more in the 1.75# range.

Last year we did well all winter long in 16-20' so just assumed that was going to be the case this year.  That being said, last year was our first and only year fishing for crappie in winter so it was a pretty small sample size.   Eager now to get back out and check more deep water trees and lay downs that I have marked over the years while fishing for hybrids and see if they have crappie on them.  Originally marked them as places to avoid so we wouldnt hang up and break off but thinking back we did always seem to catch a few monster crappie at those spots on 5" flukes on 1oz jig heads (standard hybrid dead stick gear)

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 07:54:29 PM »
And there was definitely more bait out deep.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 06:08:45 AM »
Great trip PA, sound like you found there feeding areas.....what was the surface temp?
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline palestineag

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 06:35:04 AM »
53-55

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 07:04:13 AM »
Got to go out for the first time in a while this week and the bite was definitely alot different than last time out.  Surface temps down quite a bit.  Had been catching good fish from 16-20' on the bottom so that's where we started but was only getting a few here and there. As we were idling to a spot in 20' we passed over a laid down tree in 30' in close proximity and it looked absolutely stacked.  Fished the pile and managed two fish in 15 minutes then eased back to the tree. Pulled out line to 22-25' down where the fish were on the graph and it was on like spring time.  They were hammering the jig as soon as it got in front of them.  Fishing up to that point had been slow so we hadnt been keeping count but soon cooler was at the two man limit line so we quit keeping em. Had another deep water spot on the other side of the lake that always looked like a beautiful tree when idling over it but had never fished because thought it was too deep.  Graphed it next...stacked and fish on.  Fish were super healthy and turns out the summertime two man limit line in the cooler translated to 41 winter fatties.  Had three fish between 2-0 and 2-2 and several more in the 1.75# range.

Last year we did well all winter long in 16-20' so just assumed that was going to be the case this year.  That being said, last year was our first and only year fishing for crappie in winter so it was a pretty small sample size.   Eager now to get back out and check more deep water trees and lay downs that I have marked over the years while fishing for hybrids and see if they have crappie on them.  Originally marked them as places to avoid so we wouldnt hang up and break off but thinking back we did always seem to catch a few monster crappie at those spots on 5" flukes on 1oz jig heads (standard hybrid dead stick gear)
There you go, I was trying to fish the same pattern as I did last year on Martin but it's not working.  Good report on Palestine...ya'll really smacked em good.  Anxious to try them again after this front blows through.