Author Topic: Boat Batteries  (Read 1207 times)

Offline T-Slab

• Crappie Keeper
Boat Batteries
« on: April 04, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
Well it's time to replace my batteries in the boat.  Looking for some recommendations on decent batteries for the trolling battery and cranking battery.  I'm really not wanting to spend a fortune on the best battery like the (yellow, blue top, etc...) just something decent. I use to buy Everstarts and had good luck with them, but I haven't bought any in a long time so not sure if there still decent. 
What you got?? 

ACAMS

Re: Boat Batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »
I have two Neverstarts from Wallyworld that are about 6-7 years old and STILL going ..... don't waste money on those damn Optima batteries as they are NOT worth the money.
I had two yellow tops in my truck because I have a battery isolator and microwave and satellite TV and NEITHER one lasted a year and ONLY got $15 towards another battery .... WAS NOT an Optima!

Offline T-Slab

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 05:11:45 PM »
That's good hear on the Neverstarts, seems like they lasted a while for you.  May just go this route since it's pretty convenient to buy at Wallyworld.  Thanks any others?  What about Exide brand from Academy?  Anyone have experience with these?

Offline lakerunner

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:29:55 PM »
I've had bad luck with Bass Pro Shop batteries.  They don't last the year.  They warranty them without any problem but if one ever fails out of warranty I am going replace it with a Wal-Mart battery.  I have good luck with them in my trucks.

Offline T-Slab

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 08:50:15 PM »
Thanks.  I think I will get me some Everstarts and see what happens.

Offline Pepop

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 12:47:14 AM »
Not to contradict ACAMS, but any mfg can produce a lemon, just like any mfg can hit it just right once. IDK which situation fits my circumstance but I've had an Exide gel battery for 5 years now. Bought it when the TM battery that came on my boat died after 3 years. 2 years later I bought an Exide Blue top when I switched to a 24v TM and the 2 have been going great. They seem to hold a charge longer than, well, IDK. I don't have any other 2 batteries to compare to. Now, as for price. I never would've bought either battery if I had'nt gotten such great deals. The last battery I bought (cranking) was a Wallmart EverStart. Looking atvTM batteries, for new gel batteries @ nearly $200 each, I figure I can buy 4 WM batteries for less & probably have hot batteries for longer! :twocents

Offline Kdog

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 09:01:44 AM »
Batteries are like bait, sooner or later you are going to run out or it goes belly up. I tinker around a bit helping friends solve their boat dilemas and IMO the best thing you can do to extend battery life is to have an onboard charging system and plug it in as soon as you get home. Just remember to unplug it before dragging your boat out the driveway. Also, If electrolyte level is checkable, check it and add distilled water as needed.

As far as Batteries per se' I like Crown Deep cycle batteries. Last boat I had is still going strong with 2 CR210's for TM and 1 27DC-105 for starting and electronics. Only problem with these heavy duty batteries is the weight the Big Batteries for the TM were ~130# each and the small battery was 50#. They are pricey but I got a good deal when I did mine and could not argue (free) from the guy doing my towmotor maintenance. Those batteries are going on 10 years old and still run the TM all day.

Sure that was extreme but I was happy. I got a couple buddies with limited funds and both use WalMart batteries, One has a nice onboard charger and after 6 years thinks his batteries are getting weak. The other guy drags his car charger out and cooks the batteries is on his 3rd set refuses to spend a couple bucks on an onboard charger.

Offline Pepop

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:32:02 AM »
The onboard charger definitely extends the life of your batteries! My gel cell batteries on the TM, 1 being 5 years old & 1 is 3 years, I think are beginning to get a big weak but still pull my boat around pretty good. I may make a change this year & I have to be pretty selective because of space restrictions in the back of the boat. The Exide & Optima footprint is the most I can fit.