Author Topic: My slip was hit by a scumbag this past week.  (Read 260 times)

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
My slip was hit by a scumbag this past week.
« on: February 10, 2018, 04:55:03 AM »
Some scumbag visited my slip this week and stole the underwater light I had in the slip to attract fish for my wife to catch from the slip.  It had to be another slip holder since it takes a gate pass to get into the dock .  The marina manager says slip holders are lending their entry cards to friends to use so it might not be a slip holder.

As I told her, the problem with that theory is slip holders are prohibited from lending their cards out and slip holder guests are not allowed on the docks unless the slip holder is present.  So in either case the slip holder is responsible for the theft. I also told her if what she said was true then they were not doing a very job of controlling dock access.

So tomorrow I will report the theft to the GP police, which even if they take the report, will be a waste of time.  It's just not a big enough theft to justify their time.  But I  may need a police report for my insurance company.  If I even file, as the deductible and depreciation will mean I get almost nothing back for it. Don't think I want to take a hit on my home owners insurance for $50.

I hope the scumbag that stole the light hits a floating tree trunk and sinks his boat.  But worthless sob's  like this never have anything bad happen to them.

Enough ranting.   Got to order another light to replace this one and try to find a better way to secure it.

Might have to just put it out the times I at the slip but they don't work as well if they are not on every night.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: My slip was hit by a scumbag this past week.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »
Stinks fer sure, I always wanted to walk up on someone when they were doing that. But hasn't happened yet. I hate a dang thief!
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
That sucks.....
Aughta look into a deterrent? Maybe some type of cable connected to the light somehow?
This world is for sure getting worse by the day.....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:08:26 PM »
Sorry Ed...I hate to hear about that kind of "stuff".

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 11:24:01 PM »
Stinks fer sure, I always wanted to walk up on someone when they were doing that. But hasn't happened yet. I hate a dang thief!

Yeah, I grew up on the Tennessee River where we shot people we caught stealing from our boats or docks or those of our neighbors and left them for the catfish to feed from.  It was standard back then to find three or four bodies a year floating in the water with a 22 round through their head or a shotgun blast to the body.

My grandfather taught me to hunt with a single shot 22 rifle.  He said if you needed more than one shot you wasn't much of a hunter.  And a 22 slug through the eye would kill any animal. I didn't learn until years later he only had one eye, his brother poked the other eye out when they were boys.  Yet he would make eye shots when he was squirrel hunting.  I never did get quite that good with a rifle but what he taught me did me good the  eight years I spent in the army.

If I every catch anybody stealing from my slip he is going to fall and hit his head on something as he tries to run away.  And it is just going to be his bad luck that he falls into the water after heading his head when he falls.  I hate a thief with a passion.

I kept that light on seven days a week so the other slip holders could fish it the nights I was not there. Which was most of the time, given my wife's condition.  Guy next to me told me he was chasing people off when he caught them fishing it. I told him to let people fish it when I wasn't there, I just asked they didn't leave me a mess to clean up or damage my equipment.  Couple of times I had messes to clean up, empty beer bottles, coke cans, trash, but you can't blame everybody for the few pigs around us.

Then this scumbag repays me by stealing the darn light.

One of the slip holders said it was probably a drug addict and it would be found in a pawn shop.  Sort of doubt this as it wouldn't have much pawn value, given the limited group that would want it.   It took at least 30 minutes to remove the control box , the cabling under the decking and the light from the water in order to steal it.  Drug addicts don't do that much work in their stealing.

There was a patient lift that cost over a thousand dollars sitting next to the control box that could have just been rolled away, a new water free boat toilet that cost $650 that was still in the box that could have just been picked up and carried away and a few other items I have not been able to install that would have had higher resale value and been faster to steal.

No, this was stolen by a boat owner with a slip where he wants to use it.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 11:34:13 PM »
That sucks.....
Aughta look into a deterrent? Maybe some type of cable connected to the light somehow?
This world is for sure getting worse by the day.....

It took at least 30 minutes to uninstall and steal it.  The control box was secured with four large non-standard screw heads so a regular screwdriver or drill bit would remove it. It took a special bit which you can buy but you must know you need it in advance.

The cabling was run underneath the decking and had cable holders screwed into the deck board every two feet from the electrical box to the front of the deck.  The cable ran though conduit from the deck to the lake bottom and had weights keeping it in place on the lake bottom.  It took me almost three hours to install the darn thing.  I know you can remove faster than you can install and that I'm old and slow but I don't see how it could have been done in under 30 minutes.

And he took the time to screw the deck boards back down after removing the cable.

You can't beat a determine thief.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 11:39:43 PM »
Sorry Ed...I hate to hear about that kind of "stuff".

I've ordered a replacement, will get it in about a week. And this time I am not going to make a  permanent installation for it.  I am going to keep the unit locked up and only put it in the water when we are out there and using it.

It will not be as effective as it  is when left on every night.  But it will attract any nearby fish after it has been on for at least an hour.

And maybe the ones it will attract will stay around the slip when they see all the crappie condos I have sunk in the slip.  I know have eight sunk and the porcupine fish attractor heads to build six more.  At least these darn things are too big and too messy to steal once they are in the water.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »
 Wow... that had to be someone worth access.... you're right if a down right dirty scoundrel wants to steal he will go to any length..... do any of the folks there live in their boat? Do they have cameras on the docks?
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 01:48:30 PM »
Wow... that had to be someone worth access.... you're right if a down right dirty scoundrel wants to steal he will go to any length..... do any of the folks there live in their boat? Do they have cameras on the docks?

Yes and I suspect I know who but I can not prove it yet.  One boat a few slips down was sold and moved to another marina  the same week the light disappeared.  Might be coincidence but live has taught me to be suspicious of coincidences.   So far I can only pin down the time frame of it's disappearance to one week but I am hoping that as I catch other slip holders to talk with I can pin it down closer.  Or find somebody who saw it being taken down.

This scumbag thinks he got away with this clean but this is personal to be since I was using that light to attract fish to the slip for my wife to catch.  The light has a serial number on it and I will spend more than the light cost to track him down. And I will destroy him once I get his name and photographic proof of him having the light in a boat slip.  Time is on my side unless he has moved completely out of the DFW area.   I know it is vindictive to think this way but this time I intend to be as vindictive as I can when I finally catch him.  As I said, it is personal since everybody on that dock knows my wife's condition.  They seen her in her wheelchair and the extremes that I have gone to in order to make that slip usable for her.

No, nobody lives on their boats on this dock.  The bigger boats are on the last dock of the marina. That is where you will find the people living on their boats.

Nobody has cameras at this point but I soon will have.  I am researching the best one for the slip at this time.  I want to mount it on the roof of the slip so it is too high up to easily steal.  It needs to have a remote power source so it can't be unplugged, which means a small solar panel to keep the battery charged.  And it needs to be wireless to broadcast any photos or videos to cloud storage.

There are several that can do these things that run between $300-$500 for a two camera operation, I just trying to determine the most reliable one. 

I hate to spend this much money but I have other things stored on the slip I need in order for her to use the slip that cost a lot more than that light cost.  She's wheel chair bound and has limited use of her arms now so I must have a patient lift to move her from the wheel chair to the recliner I bought for her to sit in at the slip. We tried just using the wheelchair but it was too uncomfortable for her to use for extended periods of time. 

She's not that big but I am unable to lift her due to my own injuries.  So the lift is necessary.  I would hate for it to be stolen.

The doctors now tell me she probably only has four-six months left as the syndrome has become active again.  And it is very aggressive when it is active. So I want these last months to be as enjoyable as possible for her and she has always loved fishing.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »
 Yes sir,  I totally understand.....

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 05:41:15 AM »
I bet someone knows and or saw the theft , to go to that extent and take that much time was seen by someone , I bet he used  a cordless drill and had a lookout .....man that pisses me off .....

some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 01:34:03 AM »
It appears that there has been a lot of theft on that dock since the 1st of the year.  Which the marina had not warned us about through their newsletter.  I was told today that a lot of the storage cabinets have been broken open and things taken over the last two months.

I was also told that there was a hop head that had been staying at one of the boats on that dock.  A couple of the other slip holders finally went to the boat owner and complained to him about  allowing a hop head to stay in his boat.  He denied it was happening, that he only allowed him to stay there for two nights while he was doing slip work for him.  He supposedly was upset when he was told the hop head had been at the boat every night for the last two months and things were disappearing from the dock.  So he went to his slip and changed the lock.  He said he also told the hop head he could not use the boat as living quarters.

Of course nobody was told about this either.  I was told today by one of the slip holders.  Told him I would have appreciated that information before my underwater fishing light disappeared.

But if he is now gone maybe the stealing will stop.   And maybe my light will be found in one of the local pawn shops by the GP police now that I have provided them with a serial number for the light.  I will be surprised if that happens since I still think it was taken to another marina.  But most of the boat owners I've talked with think it will show up at this marina in a month or two.  They all say these type of thieves are stupid and will use the light as soon as the weather warms up.

I will see as my new exercise is walking the docks of the marina once or twice a week.   Once my wife is gone I will be going to other local marinas to look at their docks.  I am taking this personal as I bought that light to bring the fish to my slip so she could catch a few of them each time we went to our slip.  She also enjoyed seeing them swim in the light the few nights we went over there for an hour or two.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 08:34:10 PM »
Well, I have my new underwater light system and my new security camera system in.  Now I just need to get them installed.

Will probably need some warmer weather for that.

After a lot of research I went for a  4 camera system that sends telephone alerts and videos when the cameras are tripped but has a hard drive back up system which stores the camera videos for up to three months, depending on the number of times it is triggered.

Hope this proves to be enough.  But d*** thieves always seem to find a way around any system designed to stop them.

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 08:29:27 AM »
I hope it helps stop um...
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 06:49:42 PM »
I hope it helps stop um...

Probably not.  But I'm hopping I get a good picture of the next scumbag that I can paste all across the internet.

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 06:46:37 AM »
showing up at odd hours of the weeee morning are also a nice way to ketch them , just park in an area you can watch with binos from a distance and sit there right quiet with the coppers on speed dial in hand  :clap
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 10:36:40 PM »
showing up at odd hours of the weeee morning are also a nice way to ketch them , just park in an area you can watch with binos from a distance and sit there right quiet with the coppers on speed dial in hand  :clap

I would prefer a dialed in rifle in hand.  I hate a thief.