Author Topic: Anybody else bank fish?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline crappieslinger

• Crappie Keeper
Anybody else bank fish?
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:32:08 AM »
I sold my boat three years ago and have been fishing from the bank since then.  I often go to Cleburne State Park to camp and fish the lake there.  There are good trails around the lake so it is easy to fish from shore.

Do any of the current members bank fish?  Can you recommend other good areas for bank fishing?

Offline CrappieHunter

• Crappie Keeper
Re: Anybody else bank fish?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »
I don't fish from the bank myself.  Too lazy to walk.  ;D

But this might help you find some good spots.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=113383920670338245597.000483d695aca456dff03&dg=feature

Forgot to say I found this url on another forum.  I haven't used it so if it is not valid please let me know and I will delete this post.

Offline CrappieSearcher

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:04:42 PM »
I fished Cleburne State Park from time to time a few years back.  I didn't catch many crappie but did catch a lot of bass from the bank.  I stopped going when the water levels started dropping there.

Are you doing any good with the low water levels?

Offline crappieseeker

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »
I generally fish from my boat.  But I have been known to tie up and walk the bank, dropping my jig around tree roots that are in the water.  I have caught some of my biggest crappie doing this.

I used to do this all the time when I fished Pat Cleburne.  But you can't launch there now due to the low water. :(

Offline crappieslinger

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 08:50:59 AM »
It depends on where I want to fish and the weather.  Sometimes it is too rough to take the boat out so I will fish from my slip or the bank.

And in the winter, when I fish for rainbow trout I fish from the bank.

I don't limit how I fish but let the fishing conditions determine how I fish.

But I would never sell my boat.  It provides too much fun for me and my family.

Offline RobertB

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »
I bank fish on a few small ponds in the area.  Generally when I fish from the bank I use a float to get my jig where I want it.

If trees grow at the edge of the ponds I will fish straight down among the tree roots with my jig.  I have caught some large crappie doing this.

Offline JohnH

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »
No, my partner and I only fish from our boat.  Walking any distance would be too hard for us.

Offline dallas

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »
I don't fish from the bank but I will sometimes fish from the fishing barges if the lake is too rough for a boat or I don't have the time to take the boat out.

Sometimes I will fish from friend's slips.

But I prefer to fish from my boat if I can as I can cover a lot more water if the crappie are not cooperating with the bite.

Offline Slabseeker

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 07:15:30 PM »
I sometimes fish small ponds.  So of course I bank fish when I am fishing these ponds.  I also fish the river once in a while and again, when I am fishing the river I am fishing from the bank.

Offline CrappieHunter

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
I read in another forum that there is good bank fishing on the Guadalupe River. 

Here is a link to a Texas Park and Wildlife map of the river that shows good bank fishing areas.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/guadalupe.phtml

Register