Author Topic: Fished my slips this afternoon  (Read 182 times)

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
Fished my slips this afternoon
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:53:45 PM »
I arrived at 1:00 P.M, left at 8:00 P.M.  Didn't spend all the time fishing as there were several slip holders there who I had not seen in three months or more.  So I spent a good part of the time socializing instead of fishing.  It's hard to tell a friend he can't fish your slip.   :ROFLMAO

Fishing today was nothing like the fishing Wednesday afternoon/night.  I caught 10 crappie, all keepers, but small keepers between 10" and 11".   Caught all of them off my two slips, didn't catch anything off the other slips that normally produce nice numbers of crappie.  As usual they stopped biting just before dusk.  However I could not find where they moved.  I spent 30 minutes fishing the rocks without a single bite or even a bump to the jig.

Everybody I talked with had the same story, slow bite with small size, nothing back on the rocks.

And of course I was told by several that most of the regulars had caught their limits by 9:00 A.M and had left for the day.  And I am quite sure that if I get out there by daylight in the morning that will be the one day when the crappie are not biting and will be told I should have been there yesterday morning. >:D

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
Re: Fished my slips this afternoon
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 06:59:06 AM »
 :fish
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline Bush Hog

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 07:43:56 AM »
It's always good to visit with old friends too, especially when gathered around a fishing hole.
To whom much is given, much is required.

Offline ACAMS

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 03:28:30 PM »
10 fish is just right .... a good mess, but easy to clean!
Free image uploader >>>http://myfolderz.com/TCF/pics.php<<<

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:17:41 PM »
10 fish is just right .... a good mess, but easy to clean!

I didn't want to clean them, that is why I gave them away.  Ezgoing is just another way of saying lazy.   :ROFLMAO

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:35:44 PM »
Fished the slips again today for 3 hours, from 5:30 PM- 8:30 PM.  They quit biting at my slips at 8:30.

I just fished my two slips, none of the other slips or docks.  I didn't try the rocks where we had such great success Wednesday night, I was too tired to walk there so I went home.

I caught 19 during the three hours, but nothing of size.  One was 11", one was 12" , eight were between 10.5"-11"  ,  eight were between 10"-10.5" , one was 9".  So legally 18 of the 19 were keepers but I don't keep anything below 10.5" if I'm giving them away, 11"-13" if I'm keeping them for myself.

I give them to two guys who said they were trying to catch enough crappie to have a family fish fry tomorrow night.  They were happy as mine and theirs together give them enough for the fry, I was happy as once again I got to catch them without having to clean them.  :)  Seems to be a lot of people fishing the docks this week looking to catch enough for a fish fry.

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Crappie Keeper
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 10:44:41 PM »
Fished my slip again this afternoon, from 5PM-8PM

Big difference  this time in what I caught and in what I saw other people leaving with as I arrived.

One guy had such a heavy stringer he could not carry it but was dragging the stringer behind him.  Don't know the exact number he caught but that stringer was full and most of them were large.

As I arrived at my slip a young man was leaving my dock to go home.  He too had a heavy stringer but it wasn't full like the first instance. I asked how many he had and he told me 24.  He said he thought about trying to catch the 25th one but decided he had enough to clean.  He said he caught all the crappie at one slip, so naturally I asked him which slip.    >:D   He said it was a slip toward the end of the dock but did not say which one.   :ROFLMAO 

So this time I know people were catching limits of nice crappie before I arrived as I saw two of them.  :)

Now for the report of my catching.  My first drop resulted in a 11.5" crappie.  So once again I thought I am going to have a great day!  I never learn, I keep falling for this when my first drop results in a nice sized crappie.

My next six crappie varied from smaller than my hand to an inch or so longer than my hand.  In other words, not dinks but babies.   To summarize I caught 23 crappie this afternoon, two were larger than 11", one was larger than 10" and the other 20 were all dinks or babies.  I guess the people leaving as I arrived had already caught all the big ones.   :'(

So I had a lot of fun catching but did catch many of any size.   :BananaDance :BananaDance :BananaDance

Register