Author Topic: Best material for crappie condos  (Read 3237 times)

Offline crappieman

• Crappie Keeper
Best material for crappie condos
« on: October 14, 2014, 01:33:54 PM »
I'm thinking of building some crappie condos and wonder what is the best material to use.  Also where is the best place to put them.

Offline T-Slab

• Crappie Keeper
Re: Best material for crappie condos
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »
There is a ton of stuff that can be used.  PVC, Bamboo, Brush, Wood Strips, Tree limbs, etc.  Really no help on where to place them as I'm still learning.  Ideally in the creek channels or on edge of them maybe points to.

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »
PVC is at the top of my list since it's rather hard to find using SI & it last longerthan most other material. ...
As far as where it really depends on the lake & the habits of the fish, depth is a big factor but don't forget to think of the wind or areas protected from certain wind directions....
Me I have several "spots" with structure in different depths & with protection from different directions of wind....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline JohnH

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:55:29 PM »
In the past I used wood stakes to make a stake bed.  I just tried pvc and am going about using pvc in the future.  Cost is a little less and they are easier to make using the pvc.

Stake beds aren't hard, it just takes time to get it right.

Offline lakerunner

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 08:32:38 PM »
I prefer pvc but haven't had time to build any for some time due to work pressures.

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »
pvc is easier to work with and lasts longer.  Trees and brush can be free to use.

The best place to sink them is my slip at Joe Pool.  :LOL

Offline Jig Man

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 07:44:38 PM »
I use both, natural and man made. I think the natural stuff gets the food chain going faster, small stuff to large stuff. But I like fishing in the man made stuff because your catch to land ratio is higher. Its a bunch easier to work a fish out of a mossback rack than it is to work one out of a Christmas tree... IMO
>>>------------> Make It Count!!! <><

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »
I use both, natural and man made. I think the natural stuff gets the food chain going faster, small stuff to large stuff. But I like fishing in the man made stuff because your catch to land ratio is higher. Its a bunch easier to work a fish out of a mossback rack than it is to work one out of a Christmas tree... IMO

Some of the crappie I have hooked at the slip have done a great job of wrapping the line around those pvc pipes.  They often manage to lose the hook before I can get them out.  :(

Offline LEANIN POST

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 10:43:48 PM »
I caqn tell ya what Not to use.. Hackberry!!! crappies dont do hackberry.
Crazy, but thats how it goes, millions of people living as foes.Maybe,, its not too late, to learn how to love and forget how to hate--- ozzy osbourne

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 04:28:19 PM »
i like bamboo myself   
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Offline Esnow74

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 08:17:42 PM »
I plan on making some from bamboo this weekend. Should I put anything with the bamboo like some pic? Any ideas on how long they will last if I do straight bamboo and if using a bucket for the base how many in each location would you sink? I'm not sure if it should be multiple in one spot or just one very bushy one. I hope that we get them in the water in the next week so I can try em out. If they become productive then maybe I can share some Ketchn time on my new spots. Time will tell.

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 09:12:34 PM »
I like several in one spot myself.  But part of it depends on size.  I like to cover a 10' x 10' area.  I don't mean have them touching each other in a 100 sq ft area, I mean have several in the area with a few feet between them.

Years ago I did some stake beds on Benbrook, where I was placing the stakes 1' apart from each other.  So I was using 100 stakes in a 10' x 10' pattern.

Back then I could get the stakes free from a friend.  Now I would need to buy them and that could get expensive.  So I doubt I will be doing stake beds anymore unless I find another free source for the stakes.  :)

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 12:32:10 AM »
white pvc will gross moss quicker and the fish will come quicker to it.

here are stake beds with bamboo shoots driven in the bottom of the lake.

shallow for spring and deep for summer and winter fishing . check it out

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 09:49:58 PM »
It just hit me tonight.  With that dock moving my slip all over that cove on Joe Pool Lake I bet I have lost the porcupine fish attractors I placed in my slip.   :'(

And one of my neighbors had over 30 xmas trees that he placed in his slip over the last two years.  He is going to be one unhappy camper if he has lost all that hard work.  That is a long way to carry those trees and blocks since he is near the end of the dock.

Offline sticko

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 09:56:04 PM »
think i would carry the trees and blocks down there in the boat if it were me .

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 10:10:45 PM »
He has a 21 x 50 foot slip where he has built a 20' deck on it.  His boat is an older houseboat that hasn't been moved in the three years that I have had my slip.   He starts his engine once a month to keep it working but that is the only time the engine is used.

So he did the hard work of carrying everything from the parking lot to his slip.

Offline Crappiegetter

• Guppy
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 08:51:11 PM »
 :NiceThread :NiceThread thanks for the post
It just hit me tonight.  With that dock moving my slip all over that cove on Joe Pool Lake I bet I have lost the porcupine fish attractors I placed in my slip.   :'(

And one of my neighbors had over 30 xmas trees that he placed in his slip over the last two years.  He is going to be one unhappy camper if he has lost all that hard work.  That is a long way to carry those trees and blocks since he is near the end of the dock.
Second Childhood Retired & Crappie Fishn :)