Author Topic: Pepop's Dilly Lime Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw & FRESH Salsa  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Pepop

• Crappie Slabmaster
The "Site" recommended a new topic. Who am I to argue with "Th' Site"!

This includes the recipe for my homemade salsa and how to prepare fish, I mean crappie.

Crappie
I take a large, deep-sided cookie sheet & tear a giant sheet of foil big enough to cover the cookie sheet (with sides turned up) and fold over for a lid. Spray olive oil lightly on top & bottom foil, sprinkle fresh chopped or freeze dried cilantro evenly on bottom, sprinkle very lightly dried dill on top of cilantro, sprinkle moderately garlic salt on top of all. I patted dry crappie filets and lay them out on top of seasonings, brake apart the rings of half a large sliced onion and lay them out on the filets. Cut a large lime in half and squeeze both halves over the "mess". Melt half a stick of butter and drizzle it on the "mess" then repeat the cilantro, dill & garlic salt on top of filet's and fold the foil over and lightly crimp the edges. Bake in the oven @ 400 degrees for 20 min, roll foil back and bake another 5 min. I serve it on warm, doubled corn tortilla's with Cilantro-Lime Slaw & homemade Salsa.

Cilantro-Lime Slaw
Take 1 good handfull of fresh cilantro and chop coarse, shred a small head of green cabbage or use  packaged, dry cole slaw mix. Toss with chopped cilantro and squeeze the juice from 2 med. large limes over the mix and toss again. Make this ahead & refrigerate for a couple hours, tossing about every 30 minutes.

Salsa; (seems complicated but well worth it)
Dice 2 med. large sweet onion's and 3 large jalapeno peppers (remove pulp & seeds of all 3 for extra mild salsa, 2 for mild, 1 for medium, leave all the pulp & seeds in if you like it hot. Place all diced ingredients in a large storage container, add coarse ground black pepper & Sea Salt to taste. Take 1 large bunch of fresh cilantro, remove any large, tough stems and chop till fine and add to the diced ingredients and set aside.
Take 6-8 large or 12 medium ripe tomato's and remove the stem-dimple, cut into wedges and place in blender or food processor, process to desired consistency (I pretty much liquefy mine because I leave the onion, pepper & cilantro chunky). Add 1 tablespoon minced garlic and 3/4 cup fresh lime juice and process just enough to mix. Pour tomato/garlic/lime mixture over diced ingredients and stir well. If you have a gallon jar or container with a good lid, it's easier to mix everything together like a shaker. It's ready to eat (and delish!) right now but even better after a day in the frig.

ACAMS

Re: Pepop's Dilly Lime Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw & FRESH Salsa
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:10:55 PM »
Actually it sound pretty good.  But you left out the most important first step:

Step 1.  Catch several large crappie.

It's step 1 that is killing me right now but as soon I manage step 1 I am going to try it.  :)

Offline etu koka

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 01:09:45 PM »
Those pics always look good!! I'm terrible at all that prep:(
I'm usually eating them hot off the grease

ACAMS

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 02:03:52 PM »
Click his sig and see this pic ..... looks good too!

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:40:30 AM »
FOOD .....yum ......KABOOM
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 09:11:01 PM »
I've gotta try this'un!!!!  :cheers
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline plateboater

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 04:56:46 AM »
 :Winner

Offline Pepop

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 08:40:49 PM »
Ok folks, the sweet onions have been harvested, the tomatoe's are comin off like gangbusters & the peppers should be ready in a week. That means fresh from the garden Pico & Salsa! Put those two with a pan of Dilly Lime Crappie Taco's & YUM!!! Probably happenin later this week. Photo's to come!

Offline jpenwell

• Crappie Dink
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 09:27:41 PM »
 :Eating  Yummm. Are you accepting orders yet? 
Ok folks, the sweet onions have been harvested, the tomatoe's are comin off like gangbusters & the peppers should be ready in a week. That means fresh from the garden Pico & Salsa! Put those two with a pan of Dilly Lime Crappie Taco's & YUM!!! Probably happenin later this week. Photo's to come!
My theory is "GO FOR IT". Never seen a hearst with a trailer hitch.

Offline Esnow74

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 09:48:14 AM »
I say this thread is worthless without taste tests.

Register