Author Topic: Please Test your boats  (Read 1032 times)

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
Please Test your boats
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:20:24 PM »
before taking them to the lake if this is the first time you have used it this year.

I watched five boats be towed back to the launch today while fishing my slip.  Some had families in them.  This could be unsafe if winds or bad weather came up while waiting for help.

Buy some earmuffs from your marine shop (some wal-marts carry them) and run your motor for at least 30 minutes in your drive way before you go to the lake for the first time this year.  It is much safer to have the motor quit on you in your driveway than on the lake.

The earmuffs are inexpensive and are easy to use.  You simply hook your hose to them, place them over the inlet holes on your lower unit and turn on the water.  Then you can start and run your engine safely in your driveway to ensure it won't fail on the lake.

Offline Pepop

• Crappie Slabmaster
Re: Please Test your boats
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:44:49 PM »
Excellent advice!

Offline SK

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 09:57:34 AM »
Yep, or fish year round & that usually keeps your carbs from getting gummed up from the trash gas we have to use now..... :Thumbsup
A well used boat motor usually run way better than a slightly used motor....
SOME GO FISHN, ME I GO CATCHN & ALWAYS FEED'EM A JIG CAUSE IT'S FASTER THAN CHASEN A MINNER IN A BUCKET!!!
HOPE YOUR JIGS STAY WET.....

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING YOUR PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....

Offline Esnow74

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:43:59 PM »
My dad's boat doesn't get used hardly at all and we did that. Our problem was while out on the lake we lost all electrical power to the motor and dash. Dead in the water we were and right at sundown. I signaled a boat with my head lamp and got towed back. Spent so much time trying to fix it we never dropped a jig or minnow and I know those slabs were there and ready.

Offline Kdog

• Crappie Keeper
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 04:10:11 PM »
And do a "Gremlin" check, top culprits IMO
- Deteriorated fuel lines
- Plugged fuel filters
- Weak, cracked or leaking primer bulbs
- Corroded battery cables
- Corroded connections at breaker/fuse panel
- Sticky steering cables

Offline ezgoing

• Crappie Slabmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 06:41:59 PM »
I recommend keeping a tool box on board that contains the wrenches that fit the connections for your boat.  This way you can make emergency repairs when on the lake.

I also recommend keeping at least one spare for each of the fuses used by your boat.  I also suggest keeping a jumper battery such as a PowerStation on board when you take the boat out.

I have a PowerStation that I place in my SUV when I leave the house.  When I get into the pontoon I move the PowerStation to the pontoon.  When I am at home the PowerStation is hooked up to an electric socket to keep it charged.

It might be a good idea to give a float plan to a family member or friend so authorities would know where to start looking for you if something happens.  If you only fish one lake this might not matter as much but if you fish different areas every fishing trip it might make a significant difference.

Offline Ketchn

• Crappie Trophy King
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 02:04:01 PM »
yep I cranked her ( the ss minnow) one time in the driveway sunday 
and she would start or turn over on the ramp on the launch an hour later
the good news is the hot side on the motor battery was a tiny bit lose
a quick little turn and KABOOM
she ran like always
I was so sure everything was good to go
funny how it can be like that at times  :hammer
some think money makes you wealthy . yet others know the truth, your actual wealth isn't measured in this manner !
KABOOM